Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Mismatched XML tag error when creating a new case

Hi allUgraded to CESM2.0 after having previously sucessfully ran CESM1,2,2 on our local machine.I've hit the first hurdle, however. It looks like a mismatched tag in an .xml (I think), but I'm having trouble interpreting the traceback and finding where to look (see below).Can anyone help ? I'm fully aware that your organisation may be affected by the government shutdown so I totally appreciate there may be a delay to this reply.ThanksLeanne
$ ./create_newcase --case ../case/b.e20.B1850.f19_g17.test --compset B1850 --res f19_g17
Compset longname is 1850_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
Compset specification file is /home/leanneW/cesm/cime/../cime_config/config_compsets.xml
Compset forcing is 1850
Com forcing is Biogeochemistry intercomponent  with diagnostic CO2
ATM component is CAM cam6 physics:
LND component is clm5.0:BGC (vert. resol. CN and methane) with prognostic crop:
ICE component is Sea ICE (cice) model version 5
OCN component is POP2 Ecosystem
ROF component is MOSART: MOdel for Scale Adaptive River Transport
GLC component is cism2 (default, higher-order, can run in parallel):cism ice evolution turned off (this is the standard configuration unless you're explicitly interested in ice evolution):
WAV component is Wave Watch
ESP component is
Pes     specification file is /home/leanneW/cesm/cime/../cime_config/config_pes.xml
Compset specific settings: name is RUN_STARTDATE and value is 0001-01-01
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./create_newcase", line 222, in
    _main_func(__doc__)
  File "./create_newcase", line 216, in _main_func
    input_dir=input_dir, driver=driver)
  File "/home/leanneW/cesm/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/case.py", line 1444, in create
    input_dir=input_dir, driver=driver)
  File "/home/leanneW/cesm/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/case/case.py", line 811, in configure
    machobj = Machines(machine=machine_name)
  File "/home/leanneW/cesm/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/XML/machines.py", line 36, in __init__
    GenericXML.__init__(self, infile, schema)
  File "/home/leanneW/cesm/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/XML/generic_xml.py", line 57, in __init__
    self.read(infile, schema)
  File "/home/leanneW/cesm/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/XML/generic_xml.py", line 87, in read
    self.read_fd(fd)
  File "/home/leanneW/cesm/cime/scripts/Tools/../../scripts/lib/CIME/XML/generic_xml.py", line 112, in read_fd
    self.tree = ET.parse(fd)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1182, in parse
    tree.parse(source, parser)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 656, in parse
    parser.feed(data)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1642, in feed
    self._raiseerror(v)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1506, in _raiseerror
    raise err
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: mismatched tag: line 75, column 3

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you are just updating now you should get the 2.1 tag not 2.0.   It looks like there is an issue in config_machines.xml but you didn't tell us what machine you are trying to build on.Also note that the B1850 compset at f19_g17 is not yet supported.  We plan to have a support for this configuraton in 2.1.1 sometime this quarter.  

Hi - thanks for hte quick reply.The version I updated to is 2.0, sorry not 2.1My machine is not one of the supported machines that are found in all the .xml files.I shall take a look through my config_machines.xml file and see if it can solve it, if not I'll reply to this post again.CheersLeanne

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If your machine is not listed you will need to do a port https://esmci.github.io/cime/users_guide/index.html#case-control-system-part-2-configuration-porting-testing-and-use-cases