Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

model spin-up time

Hi,
I am running CCSM2.0.1 fully coupled model with T42 resolution. My question is: how many years does it take for the fully coupled model to get to equilibrium? I notice that there is monthly output data named case b20.007 available in MSS storage since model year 350, does that mean the spin-up time for the fully coupled model is 350 years? And, for each model input data, are they out put data from spun-up cases?
Thanking you in advance!

murphys

Hi Jane,

we software types decided this question was best answered from a scientific point of view. I am tracking down an appropriate person to answer your question, so stay tuned.

thanks,

sylvia

pjr

murphys said:
Hi Jane,

we software types decided this question was best answered from a scientific point of view. I am tracking down an appropriate person to answer your question, so stay tuned.

thanks,

sylvia

take a look at
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/stevens/ccsm3/b30.009/b30.009.ts.png

This is a typical behavior for the adjustment in the surface temperature of a coupled model run. The adjustment time is between 100 and 300 years for surface properties, depending on what you are interested in. If you have changed the physics of the deep ocean, then of course the response
will be much slower.

Phil Rasch