Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Modify the chemistry scheme

lixiaolin

lixiaolin
Hello,

I am trying to model the influence of rocket-released water on ionosphere under WACCM, from my understanding, what I should do is:

1) create the nc data files for the emission

2) change the namelist ext_frc_specifier to the directory of my new data

3) copy the chemistry preprocessor input file (chem_mech.in) to my case directory

4) change chemical mechanism to allow for external forcing in the section of "Ext Forcing"

5) add the species in solution part and implicit part

6) add reactions

7) edit the line for CAM_CONFIG_OPTS to add a flag "-usr_mech_infile" followed by the path to the new chem_mech.in file.

But it shows the same error:

BalanceCheck: soil balance error nstep =1 point =1923 imbalance =-0.000000 W/m2

ERROR: shr_reprosum_calc ERROR: NaNs or INFs in input SHR_REPROSUM_CALC: Input contains 0.19958E+06 NaNs and 0.00000E+00 INFs on process 3

Can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix it? thanks

fvitt

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Is this issue with WACCM or WACCMX?

We often see these errors when the dynamics is unstable. Increasing the number of substeps in the dynamics sometimes help. Try increasing fv_nsplit namelist setting.

If this is with WACCMX then you may need to increase the number of substeps of the O+ transport (ionos_xport_nsplit).