Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

MOM6 development plans

gmarques

Gustavo Marques
Staff member
The purpose of this thread is to centralize the development plans from groups using MOM6 to facilitate collaboration and avoid duplication of efforts.

I will start by posting the MOM6 development plan within CESM for the next year. This plan is divided into the following categories: 1) parameterizations; 2) biogeochemistry and tracers; and 3) Infrastructure, performance, and coupling with other components. An approximate starting date for each project is provided, but that does not mean that the project will be completed within this period. Questions and suggestions are always very welcome.

Biogeochemistry (MOM6/MARBL driver) and tracers

The ESMG/Rutgers plans include:

* Regional modeling of various coastal US domains: Northeast Pacific, Northwest Atlantic (whole North Atlantic at some point), Pacific islands, Arctic, Great Lakes.
* Work on landfast ice parameterizations in SIS2.
* Detiding of daily averages.
* Hoping to improve OBCs of other than z-star vertical coordinates.
* Continue documentation effort.
* Modernize suite of Python tools for pre- and post-processing.

adcroft

Alistair Adcroft
GFDL summary (in no particular order):
  • Examination of performance, bottle necks and recommendations
  • Increase code coverage in continuous-integration system
  • FMS2 I/O transition
  • Fully embed SIS2 (dynamics) within MOM6
    • Fuse SIS2 rheology solver with MOM6 barotropic solver
  • Refactor of diag_mediator
  • Standardization of diagnostic methods (memory management)
  • New vertical coordinates
    • Examining some algorithmic choices
  • Implicit Coriolis and time-stepping of dynamics

These plans are listed as projects, along with some finer grain activities, at NOAA-GFDL/MOM6

santhaAkella

santha akella
Plans at NASA GMAO include the following (no particular order):
  • Transition GEOS coupled model from MOM5 ocean model to MOM6 for seasonal prediction and coupled data assimilation applications.
  • Diurnal cycles of SST (and near-surface SSS variability).
  • Ensemble stochastic perturbations for the ocean (STOPACK; follows NEMOVAR).
  • GPU Capability with MOM6 be through DSL (domain specific language) via other collaborations (with other groups).

I should add that the plans I mentioned include a lot of people through the Climate Fisheries Initiative (CFI) and that there is also a focus on the BGC modeling for regional domains.

abozec

Alexandra Bozec
Plans at FSU include:
  • Implementing incremental updates for Data Assimilation (in collaboration with NOAA)
  • Exploring the bottom drag implementation differences between HYCOM and MOM6
  • Reviewing the remapping method