Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

MOM6 Regional domain generator

ashjbarnes

Ashley Barnes
Hello! I'm a PhD student from the Australian National University, and am using MOM6 OBCs a lot for my work.
When setting up OBCs for the first time there was a fairly steep learning curve. Together with a few other Australian collaborators, we've made a 'MOM6 regional domain generator' which aims to be as user friendly as possible, and minimise some of the annoying, hard to diagnose technical issues that tend to come up.

You can watch me give a demonstration of the package at an earlier stage of development here:

The idea was to keep it modular, and largely agnostic to the inputs that the user wants. For example, the two demo notebooks walk through how you'd force the ocean with reanalysis or model outputs which are on A and B grids respectively.

It's far from finished. In the future we'd like to add a lot more options for grid generation (Perhaps calling some of the functions from GitHub - ESMG/gridtools: A collection of grid generation tools. for example) and include tidal forcing (in a similar way to the NWA25 project nwa25/setup at main · jsimkins2/nwa25) among other things.

Most importantly though, we'd love to know:
  1. Does the international MOM6 community see value in developing such a package? (Assuming we're not re-inventing the wheel of a package we're not aware of!)
  2. Would others like to collaborate?

gmarques

Gustavo Marques
Staff member
This is really nice, Ashley. Thank you for sharing!
There is definitely value in developing such a package. We are about to start a project at NCAR that aims to do something similar within CESM. It would be great to collaborate and avoid duplicated work.