Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

MOM_input of a global MOM6-SIS2 simulation using ICs from other z-coordinate model results

egiarolla

Emanuel Giarolla
I've been trying to run a global MOM6-SIS2 experiment but, instead of beginning from that GOLD_SIS_IC.nc file, I've used the fields of a Mercator product run, remapped to my grid. The model runs without problems, but the results are not quite good. I see some areas with higher currents speed and lower SSTs than usual.

I wonder whether I've been doing everything right while setting the parameters in MOM_input, to correctly read the IC file in Z coordinates and define all layers and thicknesses.

Has anyone already done something similar? If so, could you please share information about the MOM_input variables settings?

egiarolla

Emanuel Giarolla
I'll show examples of my concerns here.

For instance, If I define
INIT_LAYERS_FROM_Z_FILE = True
TEMP_SALT_Z_INIT_FILE = "some_file.nc" ! default = "temp_salt_z.nc"

are those setting above overriding that following one?:
TS_CONFIG = "file" ! A string that determines how the initial tempertures and salinities are
! specified for a new run: