Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

momentum budget

I'm running CAM3.1 in ideal_phys mode and trying to construct a momentum budget from daily history file output. I've calculated the advection terms from U, V, and OMEGA, but have a large mid-troposphere residual that seems to be due to diffusion.

My understanding is that below level kmnhd4, the diffusive flux is equal to -dif4*del^4(u), and above kmnhd4, is equal to dif2*del^2(u). However, this results in fluxes that are too small to explain the residual. I'm using the dif2 and dif4 values appropriate for T42.

Is my understanding of the model's horizontal diffusion incorrect, or should I be looking elsewhere to complete this budget?

Thanks very much!