Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

multiple years OBCs files

milicak

Mehmet Ilicak
Hi,

I am trying to setup a regional MOM6 domain with open boundary conditions. And I am wondering if there is a way to provide OBC files with different years rather than combining all of them in one single netcdf file. My domain is pretty big, so each years file is around 1 GB, and I want to run 60 years of simulation.
Instead I'd like to force with a year of file_obc_year.nc and model can understand which "year" it is, and get the proper data.

In fact, a similar question is for the output as well, I want each month to be written in a different netcdf file. Is it possible that in diag_table?

Thanks in advance,
Best,
Mehmet

adcroft

Alistair Adcroft
The latter is possible: look at the diag_table in double_gyre which uses a format for writing output as file_%yr_%mn (MOM6-examples/diag_table at dev/gfdl · NOAA-GFDL/MOM6-examples).

The former, reading a time-series from multiple files is not. We've suggested this would be a useful feature for FMS but it's not there yet. Worse, we have to "pad" the yearly files with data from the preceding/subsequent files in the series so that time_interp() can do the correct thing near the year boundaries. This means we have to pre-process all our forcing data which is very wasteful (disk space and human time).