Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

NCL CAPE/CIN calculation to Python?

James King

James King
Hi all,

I ran a CAM-Chem case in CESM2.1.3 and output CIN, but all values were 0. I've seen elsewhere that this is a known issue with CAM-Chem and that CIN tends only to be output by WACCM (I guess this is my fault for going for the cheaper model). I'd like to calculate CIN manually but the options for doing this in Python are limited - MetPy can only perform CAPE/CIN calculations on 1D arrays and looping through my entire dataset doing this would take forever/hit resource limits. I think there were methods to do this in NCL and I wondered if anyone at NCAR has made a Python wrapper for these? No worries if not, just wondering.

Cheers,

James

rrbuchholz

Rebecca Buchholz
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi James,

Have you looked through the GeoCAT examples:
Gallery

That is the team that is transforming all the NCL code into python.

Best,
Rebecca

James King

James King
Hi Rebecca,

I've looked at the GeoCAT documentation and there's a function to calculate CAPE from a 1D array of sounding data but I'm not sure if this will work on gridded data?

Thanks,

James