Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

NetCDF-C and NetCDF_Fortran in different locations or PnetCDF only?

JennyB

Jenny Boe
I am trying to use CESM2.1.5 on a machine where the NetCDF libraries are in different folders, and could not figure out how to adapt the config_compilers.xml for that

Is it possible to make this work?

I tried to recompile these libraries myself as well as I could (but clearly I was missing options) and put them in the same folder, but the performance was very bad

Alternatively can I use only PnetCDF, and if yes will that affect the performance (for Lustre)?

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think you can do this by specifying NETCDF_C_PATH and NETCDF_FORTRAN_PATH instead of just NETCDF_PATH. In CESM2.1.5, I see one example of this usage in cime/config/cesm/machines/config_compilers.xml, though it's for an obscure machine (grace), so I'm not positive it works in that version of the code. I know that this works in recent development versions of CESM.

If that doesn't work, you could try setting up a single directory that contains symbolic links to the appropriate libraries, and then pointing to this directory as your NETCDF_PATH.

If you have PnetCDF, then that often gives better performance. I'm not sure off-hand whether it will work to just link against PnetCDF without also linking against the netcdf libraries.