Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

NetCDF: Invalid dimension ID or name

pesieber

Petra Sieber
Dear CESM support,

I am trying to run regional cases at 0.5x0.5° and 0.1x0.1° resolution, which I built successfully using
./create_newcase --case $CASEDIR --compset I2000Clm50SpGs --res $CLM_USRDAT--mach $pizdaint --compiler gnu --driver mct --project sm61 --run-unsupported
./xmlchange CLM_USRDAT_NAME=$GRIDNAME
./xmlchange LND_DOMAIN_PATH=$REGDOMAIN_PATH,ATM_DOMAIN_PATH=$REGDOMAIN_PATH
./xmlchange LND_DOMAIN_FILE=$REGDOMAIN_FILE,ATM_DOMAIN_FILE=$REGDOMAIN_FILE

My regional domain over Europe goes over the zero longitude line and I changed the "xc" coordinate in the domain file such that longitudes are given in degrees east (i.e. positive values only), using: ncap2 -O -s 'where(xc<0) xc=360+xc' infile outfile

In my REGDOMAIN_FILE for 0.5x0.5°, lons are 300.75 to 84.25, and for 0.1x0.1° lons are 323.05 to 56.15.
I did not change the surface dataset because it has an index coordinate and I believe LONGXY can be in -180/180 degrees format without problems.

The run completes successfully, and writes reasonable output for the right domain. However, in the cesm log I get "NetCDF: Invalid dimension ID or name". Is this a cause for concern? There is no other error in the cesm log, lnd log or atm log (see attached). Do I forget something, e.g. do I need to supply mapping files to any of the components?
Actually, with an independent build with the same settings I completed one run without the NetCDF message, but I cannot reproduce it.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Petra

Attachments

• config_machines.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 1
  • atm.log.46165010.230420-212003.txt
    25.6 KB · Views: 2
  • lnd.log.46165010.230420-212003.txt
    112.3 KB · Views: 1
  • cesm.log.46165010.230420-212003.txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 1

pesieber

Petra Sieber
I forgot to mention the important difference to the build without the NetCDF message: everything is the same, except that for 0.5x0.5° resolution I use hcru_hcru in place of CLM_USRDAT. I want to "switch" to CLM_USRDAT so I can use the same workflow for both resolutions (and I am not aware of a defined grid for 0.1x0.1°).

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not sure if it is a problem. It might be worth trying to build and run in DEBUG mode to see if the model stops and you get a traceback.

pesieber

Petra Sieber
From the output I see that it completed all time steps that I tested (right now only 24h with hourly output). Do you think I could see more in DEBUG mode even if the model does not fail?

It seems to be related to CLM_USRDAT (since I don't get it with hcru_hcru and the same 0.5° domain file). Is there something specific the model does/reads with this grid?

I guess for CLM with my compset it does not matter at which resolution it is compiled, because there are no lateral exchanges, so possibly I could compile with hcru_hcru and provide the 0.1° domain file?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't think you'll see more in DEBUG mode if the model doesn't fail. I'm just thinking that building/running in DEBUG might make the model fail and then give you a traceback if the NetCDF error is indeed a real problem.
I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the grid itself. It's possible that there is a variable or dimension missing in one of the domain or surface dataset files, etc. that is not critical.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I do see this post which may indicate that it's not a problem:

pesieber

Petra Sieber
Thanks! I will try in DEBUG mode additionally to see if it fails.
I read that post and following the suggestion there, I searched the other logs, but there was no error. So let's hope it is fine.
Thanks for the help!