Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

no change in atm_in

ybj

yu bj
Hello everyone, I am currently learning to use CESM2.2 with CAM6, following the CAM6 user guide. 3. Building and Running the atmospheric model within CESM — camdoc documentation
1714983764922.png
When I added 'co2vmr = 400.e-6' to user_nl_cam as per the guide and run ./preview_namelists, it did not appear in the atm_in file as described in the guide. I am wondering why this is the case. Below are my operations:
/work/software/cesm/2.2.0_openmpi2020/cime/scripts/create_newcase --case ~/ymt/case_cesm2/test_FHIST --compset FHIST --res f09_f09_mg17 --run-unsupported
./xmlchange NTASKS_CPL=-2,NTASKS_ATM=-2,NTASKS_LND=-1,NTASKS_ICE=-1,NTASKS_OCN=-1,NTASKS_ROF=-1,NTASKS_GLC=-1,NTASKS_WAV=-1,NTASKS_IAC=1,NTASKS_ESP=1
./xmlchange ROOTPE_ICE=-1,ROOTPE_OCN=-2

./case_setup

vi user_nl_cam
co2vmr=400.e-6
./preview_namelists
When I executed ./preview_namelists -d, the following appeared in the preview_namelists.log file:

1714983732695.png

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I am going to move this to the CAM forum, however, I think the issue is that this also needs to be changed in env_run.xml. Try doing:

./xmlchange CCSM_CO2_PPMV=400.

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi, It looks like the case you are running has a default flbc_file set

I found a related answer here: [Question] Different namelist for CO2 concentration in F compset and B compset ?

You are not able to override [the flbc_file] by setting co2vmr in your user_nl_cam file. If you want to do that, you will need to create your own use_case file. If you create your own use case, we also recommend your create your own user_defined compset. Setting these up is not something that we recommend a beginner to do as it is very easy to setup a case which does not work scientifically.

ybj

yu bj
Hi, It looks like the case you are running has a default flbc_file set

I found a related answer here: [Question] Different namelist for CO2 concentration in F compset and B compset ?

You are not able to override [the flbc_file] by setting co2vmr in your user_nl_cam file. If you want to do that, you will need to create your own use_case file. If you create your own use case, we also recommend your create your own user_defined compset. Setting these up is not something that we recommend a beginner to do as it is very easy to setup a case which does not work scientifically.
Thank you for your help.