Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

No WACCM data in Feb/Mar 2019

zhiqiyang

Hi all,

I find there is no data for Feb/Mar 2019, but I could download them last month. Could you give me some suggestions? Are they still available?

'Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-02-13.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-02-14.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-02-15.'

Thank you!
Zhiqi

Shubham_pachpor

shubham pachpor
Hello all,
I'm facing the same problem as above, I want data from 15 September 2019 to 30 November 2019 (considering 32 day span I tried to download data)
but facing error:
There were problems accessing the data:
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-15.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-16.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-17.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-18.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-19.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-20.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-21.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-22.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-23.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-24.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-25.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-26.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-27.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-28.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-29.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-09-30.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-01.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-02.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-03.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-04.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-05.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-06.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-07.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-08.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-09.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-10.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-11.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-12.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-13.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-14.
Warning: Could not retrieve date 2019-10-15.

Error: No dates were retrieved.

please help me out to solve these problem
thank you,
shubham

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Please clarify what data you are trying to retrieve, and from where.

shawnh

Hello, On the site you mention, take note of two things:
1. WACCM results are available from one year ago until 10 days from now
2. Requests for time spans longer than 32 days are not supported.

We are currently in the process of getting the WACCM model output onto the NCAR Research Data Archive (CISL RDA: Whole Atmosphere Community Climate Model (WACCM) Model Output). I think we are far enough along in this process that you should be able to obtain the full output files you require for the dates you require here, with the one primary difference being that this is the 3 hourly version of the output instead of the 6 hourly output that is available from the download site you mentioned. Keep that in mind as the file sizes will be larger.

-Shawn Honomichl

zhiqiyang

Please clarify what data you are trying to retrieve, and from where.
Hi Mike,

I couldn't find contact information on this WACCM website. Could you give us some suggestions? Are these data still available? Thank you for your kind help!

Best,
Zhiqi

shawnh

Hi Mike,

I found the WACCM data used to have 130 variables, but now only have 87 variables, which leads me to some difficulties. Could you give me some suggestions?

Thank you!
Zhiqi
Hi Zhiqi,

The 3 hourly output files originally had less variables in them due to the larger file size and storage constraints at the time. So, the decision was made to exclude some variables from these files that were included in the 6 hourly output. Which variables are you using that were not included in these files? I don't know that I can secure core hours to rerun these, but what I can do is make sure that they are included in all future forecast runs now that we are porting the 3 hourly output to the Research Data Archive.

-Shawn

zhiqiyang

Hi Zhiqi,

The 3 hourly output files originally had less variables in them due to the larger file size and storage constraints at the time. So, the decision was made to exclude some variables from these files that were included in the 6 hourly output. Which variables are you using that were not included in these files? I don't know that I can secure core hours to rerun these, but what I can do is make sure that they are included in all future forecast runs now that we are porting the 3 hourly output to the Research Data Archive.

-Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your reply! I am using WACCM data as chemical boundary conditions in WRF-chem. Based on CBMZ-MOSAIC_4bins I used, some variables such as NO3, pom need to be used. I use these variables: https://www2.acom.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/wrf-chem/CESM-WRFchem_aerosols_20190822.pdf
Is it possible to get the previous 6-hourly data? I only need Feb and Mar 2019. Thank you so much!

Best,
Zhiqi

shawnh

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your reply! I am using WACCM data as chemical boundary conditions in WRF-chem. Based on CBMZ-MOSAIC_4bins I used, some variables such as NO3, pom need to be used. I use these variables: https://www2.acom.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/wrf-chem/CESM-WRFchem_aerosols_20190822.pdf
Is it possible to get the previous 6-hourly data? I only need Feb and Mar 2019. Thank you so much!

Best,
Zhiqi
Hi Zhiqi,

I took a look around some of my other holdings, and I don't have any of the 6 hourly output for that time period. The server that currently holds the 6 hourly archive only keeps data less than a year old. Unfortunately, we don't have any control over this since it's based entirely on the availability of space on the server.

-Shawn

zhiqiyang

Hi Zhiqi,

I took a look around some of my other holdings, and I don't have any of the 6 hourly output for that time period. The server that currently holds the 6 hourly archive only keeps data less than a year old. Unfortunately, we don't have any control over this since it's based entirely on the availability of space on the server.

-Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your reply. Last month I downloaded and used some 6-hourly WACCM data for 2020. Now, I am trying to download more WACCM data for 2020, and I find the data from here, WACCM Download Subset is different from the data from WACCM Direct Download. The former one is newly 3-hourly (fewer variables) and the latter one is previously 6-hourly (more variables). I tried to download the two days of 6-hourly data, combined them into one file, and put them into the MOZBC tool for WRF-chem.

I found the combined data cannot be read by MOZBC, while the 6-hourly data I directly downloaded last month can be read. Could you please tell me how you combine several days' data together? I tried cdo cat and cdo mergedtime, but they do not work well. Thanks for your help!

Zhiqi

shawnh

Hi Zhiqi,

What kind of error is CDO throwing at you? CDO has trouble with the raw WACCM output unfortunately. There are several things that it needs that aren't in the WACCM output if I remember correctly:
1. There needs to be a a 'standard_name' attribute added to the 'time' variable just with a value 'time'.
2. You may have to create an empty variable called 'nbnd'.
3. for the variable 'lev' you need an attribute called 'bounds' with a value of 'ilev'
4. for the 'time_bnds' variable you have to add a 'units' attribute with a value that is the same as the 'units' value for 'time'.
5. It's possible that you may have to add the 'standard_name' attribute for each variable with values that can probably just be the same as the regular variable name.

You should be able to add these with the netCDF4 module in python3 fairly easy, or using IDL or another language.

Hopefully this helps, and let me know if you are still having issues.

-Shawn

zhiqiyang

Hi Zhiqi,

What kind of error is CDO throwing at you? CDO has trouble with the raw WACCM output unfortunately. There are several things that it needs that aren't in the WACCM output if I remember correctly:
1. There needs to be a a 'standard_name' attribute added to the 'time' variable just with a value 'time'.
2. You may have to create an empty variable called 'nbnd'.
3. for the variable 'lev' you need an attribute called 'bounds' with a value of 'ilev'
4. for the 'time_bnds' variable you have to add a 'units' attribute with a value that is the same as the 'units' value for 'time'.
5. It's possible that you may have to add the 'standard_name' attribute for each variable with values that can probably just be the same as the regular variable name.

You should be able to add these with the netCDF4 module in python3 fairly easy, or using IDL or another language.

Hopefully this helps, and let me know if you are still having issues.

-Shawn
Thank you! Problem solved!

Zhiqi