Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ocean convergence

Hi all,

I have some problems with the convergence in the ocean model. My settings:

CCSM3.0.1 beta24
CRAY XT3 (linux)
branch for b30.032b

According to the log-files, the problem occurs on the first day in the barotropic driver when the pcg_chrongear is called ("POP exiting... no convergence at time step xx"). I have increased the DT_count, but that didn't help either. Anyone an idea?

Regards,
Dominik

njn01

Most often when you encounter a pop nonconvergence error in the first few timesteps, it is an indication that the forcing fields supplied to the ocean model are somehow incorrect.

It is a good idea to decrease the timestep (increase DT_COUNT) and try again, as you have done, but if you need to decrease the timestep by anything more than about 20%, the problem is most likely not a timestepping instability.

Hi, I am also experiencing the non-convergence error, though not within the first few timesteps - I am ~80 years into my error. The dt_count is currently at 23. Could you suggest a good value to try changing it to? Thanks!

njn01

Usually, an increase of 10-20% in dt_count is usually sufficient. (Note that increasing dt_count decreases the timestep.) So in your case, setting dt_count to 25-28 ought to allow you to integrate past the point of nonconvergence. Oftentimes, you can later reduce dt_count after integrating for a year or so with the smaller timestep.