Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ocn/ice domain compatibility issue

Hi all,

I am running CESM1.1.1 using compset E_1850_CAM5 for a custom paleoclimate run (45 ka) on Harvard's computer (odyssey, or sometimes called cannon). I have created my own lnd and ocn domain files using gen_domain (as described in this guide) and subsequently set my LND/ATM/OCN/ICE_DOMAIN_FILE variables to those newly-created domains. I have also set my DOCN_SOM_FILENAME to a forcing dataset I found here (specifically, I am using pop_frc.b.e11.B1850C5CN.f09_g16.005.150217.nc). My model is crashing due to a domain checking issue (error from my cpl.log output below):

(seq_mct_drv) : Performing domain checking
(seq_domain_check) --- checking ocn/ice domains ---
(seq_domain_check_grid) the domain size is = 854
(seq_domain_check_grid) maximum difference for mask 0.00000000000000
(seq_domain_check_grid) maximum allowable difference for mask 0.100000000000000E-01
(seq_domain_check_grid) the domain size is = 854
(seq_domain_check_grid) maximum difference for lat 27.6141342488806
(seq_domain_check_grid) maximum allowable difference for lat 0.100000000000000E-01
(seq_domain_check_grid) ERROR: incompatible domain grid coordinates

I thought that since I set the ocn/ice domains to the same file, this would not be an issue. I do notice though that when I compare the SOM dataset (pop_frc.b.e...etc) latitude to my ocn domain latitude, the maximum difference is 27.7 (see max difference for lat above), so I think the issue is coming from there. When I plot the latitudes using panoply, mine is indicative of a displaced pole while the pop forcing files in general from the repository linked above appear much different. The longitudes between the two files also vary.

For a custom paleo run, do I need to create my own SOM forcing file? If so, how? Or, is there somewhere to get a displaced-pole SOM forcing file for E_1850_CAM5 (I am aware that the forcing file I use is for CAM5_CN)?

Let me know, thank you!