Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

optimal linux flavor and fortran compiler?

Hello,

I am starting from square one for doing offline runs of CLM3.5. Could I get some advice on the best flavor of linux to use for offline runs?

I realize that CLM is only tested on pgf and Lahey compilers, which limits me to Debian, Fedora, Mandrake, RedHat, RHEL, Slackware, and SuSE

I notice from the CLM3.5 release page that CLM3.5 runs on the bangkok Linux cluster. What is the flavor Linux used here, and is there a recommended Linux/Fortran setup to use for running CLM?

Thanks,
Brad

Any combination should work but depending on your machine and compilers
few combinations can make setup easy.
pgi/lahley compilers on any linux you stated below shpuld not make any difference, ibm compilers on ibm machines(AIX/LINUX)

bchris said:
Hello,

I am starting from square one for doing offline runs of CLM3.5. Could I get some advice on the best flavor of linux to use for offline runs?

I realize that CLM is only tested on pgf and Lahey compilers, which limits me to Debian, Fedora, Mandrake, RedHat, RHEL, Slackware, and SuSE

I notice from the CLM3.5 release page that CLM3.5 runs on the bangkok Linux cluster. What is the flavor Linux used here, and is there a recommended Linux/Fortran setup to use for running CLM?

Thanks,
Brad

Thanks for the response.

Another related question: In the CLM3.0 User's Guide, it mentions that problems were encountered when the model was run using hybrid parallelism, or in bounds checking when running in debug mode. Does anyone know if this is still a problem in CLM3.5? I ask because I have a Pentium D processor (has 2 cores) and may stand to gain some efficiency by using OpenMP.

Thanks again,
Brad

clm3.5 is a tested code so it shouldn't cause any problem while running using hybrid parallism.. (i was running clm3 normally and it did not have any problem using hybrid parallelism)

bchris said:
Thanks for the response.

Another related question: In the CLM3.0 User's Guide, it mentions that problems were encountered when the model was run using hybrid parallelism, or in bounds checking when running in debug mode. Does anyone know if this is still a problem in CLM3.5? I ask because I have a Pentium D processor (has 2 cores) and may stand to gain some efficiency by using OpenMP.

Thanks again,
Brad

Thanks. Another question:

What version of PGI (or Lahey) compilers are people using? I can afford to buy a license, but the subscription and updating of compilers on a yearly basis can get expensive. Hence I would like to buy a license for PGI version 7.1 and keep it for a while without worrying about updating frequently. I don't intend on agressively updating my version of Linux either.

Thanks,
Brad

suvarchal said:
clm3.5 is a tested code so it shouldn't cause any problem while running using hybrid parallism.. (i was running clm3 normally and it did not have any problem using hybrid parallelism)

Any new version should also work . i have used PGI 6.9 and 7.0

bchris said:
Thanks. Another question:

What version of PGI (or Lahey) compilers are people using? I can afford to buy a license, but the subscription and updating of compilers on a yearly basis can get expensive. Hence I would like to buy a license for PGI version 7.1 and keep it for a while without worrying about updating frequently. I don't intend on agressively updating my version of Linux either.

Thanks,
Brad