Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Output variables from RRTMG (totuflux)

QCoopman

Quentin Cooman
Hello,

I am running CAM5.3.01 (CESM 1.2.2) model and I would like to output far infrared variables from rrtmg and specifically the upward long wave flux (w/m2) (dimensions: (0:nlayers)) — totuflux. I changed the file /models/atm/cam/src/physics/rrtmg/ext/rrtmg_lw/rrtmg_lw_rtrn.f90, I attache it (rrtmg_lw_rtrn_Changed.txt) with my modifications highlighted with #-- QC). I naively tried to output by following the commands from file radiation.F90 (which output the rrtmg variables). Unfortunately, I cannot build the model with the changes and I attach part of the file atm.bldlog.txt with the error:
“remark #8291: Recommended relationship between field width 'W' and the number of fractional digits 'D' in this edit descriptor is 'W>=D+7'.
666 format('cmp3d: ', a10, 3(1x, i4), 3(1x, e20.14))”.

I am not changing anything from the create_newcase command:
$ create_newcase -case mytest_fir -mach narval -res f19_g16 -compset F_2000_CAM5
$ ./cesm_setup
$ ./mytest1.build
$ ./mytest1.submit

I was wondering if anyone tried to output variables from rrtmg directly or if you know how to solve this issue.

Thank you!

Quentin

Attachments

• rrtmg_lw_rtrn_Changed.txt
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
  • atm.bldlog.txt
    962 KB · Views: 1

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I am going to move this to the atmosphere-specific forum. However, at this time, CESM1.2 and iCESM1.2 are only supported for deep time paleoclimate and water isotope applications, respectively. If you aren't using the model for one of those purposes, then we cannot provide support unless someone happens to know the answer quickly. We apologize about this and encourage you to update to the CESM2 series. See CESM Support Policy for support details.

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
As was previously stated, we do not support CESM1.2, expect in limited cases.

That said, looking at your atm_bldlog.txt, you have numerous compilation errors. The one you highlighted "remark #8291" is simply a cautionary warning and is not the cause of your problems. The compilation is aborting due to the messages indicated with "error". These errors need to be corrected.

I suggest you find a local expert to help you with understanding compilations and the corresponding error messages for your system.

Last edited: