Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

P : -O2 in MARBL

MalinOdalen

Malin Odalen
Hello,
In MARBL, what are the ratios of nutrient remineralization to oxygen consumption (most importantly P : -O2)? First of all, are they fixed or flexible, as nutrient to carbon stoichiometries in are flexible? I cannot seem to work this out from the publications Danabasoglu et al. (2020), or Moore et al. (2013, 2004, 2002), but I might be missing something.

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't know if these ratios are documented anywhere, but I'll make an issue ticket to update the MARBL documentation and remedy that. In the mean time, I can show you bits of the Fortran code to help answer your question... these are fixed ratios that are set as parameters in marbl_settings_mod.F90:

Code:
  real(r8), parameter :: &
       Q_10      =   1.7_r8,                                 & ! factor for temperature dependence (non-dim)
       xkw_coeff =   6.97e-9_r8,                             & ! in s/cm, from a = 0.251 cm/hr s^2/m^2 in Wannikhof 2014
       parm_Red_D_C_P  = 117.0_r8,                           & ! carbon:phosphorus
       parm_Red_D_N_P  =  16.0_r8,                           & ! nitrogen:phosphorus
       parm_Red_D_O2_P = 170.0_r8,                           & ! oxygen:phosphorus
       parm_Remin_D_O2_P = 138.0_r8,                         & ! oxygen:phosphorus
       parm_Red_P_C_P  = parm_Red_D_C_P,                     & ! carbon:phosphorus
       parm_Red_D_C_N  = parm_Red_D_C_P/parm_Red_D_N_P,      & ! carbon:nitrogen
       parm_Red_P_C_N  = parm_Red_D_C_N,                     & ! carbon:nitrogen
       parm_Red_D_C_O2 = parm_Red_D_C_P/parm_Red_D_O2_P,     & ! carbon:oxygen
       parm_Remin_D_C_O2 = parm_Red_D_C_P/parm_Remin_D_O2_P, & ! carbon:oxygen
       parm_Red_P_C_O2 = parm_Red_D_C_O2,                    & ! carbon:oxygen
       parm_Red_Fe_C   = 3.0e-6_r8,                          & ! iron:carbon
       parm_Red_D_C_O2_diaz = parm_Red_D_C_P/150.0_r8          ! carbon:oxygen
                                                               ! for diazotrophs

Specifically, you are asking about parm_Remin_D_O2_P = 138.0_r8; all the computation in the model is done in carbon units, so the variable parm_Remin_D_C_O2 = parm_Red_D_C_P/parm_Remin_D_O2_P (where parm_Red_D_C_P = 117.0_r8 so the ratio is 117/138, or approximately 0.8478) is what is used to compute the oxygen tendency in the code; it appears when computing o2_production and o2_consumption.