Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

physics buffer changes value at the poles

Hi,

When I use the physics buffer in the MOZART chemistry package(subroutine mo_gas_phase_chemdr, in particular), I met something I don't quite understand. Say I would like to put the cloud fraction in the buffer. I defined a buffer named "MO_CLDFRC" and would like to give it a value of cldfr. cldfrc_pbuf is the pointer. I found that there will be differences between the cldfrc_pbuf and cldfr at both polar regions.

cld_idx = pbuf_get_fld_idx( 'MO_CLDFRC' )
cldfrc_pbuf => pbuf(cld_idx)%fld_ptr( 1, 1:pcols, 1:pver, lchnk, itim)
cldfrc_pbuf = cldfr

Has anyone ever noticed this? Any thoughts on it?

Thanks,
Tianyi

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The value of cldfr in gas_phase_chemdr is coming from the physics buffer field 'CLD'. If you copy cldfr into a new field, MO_CLDFRC, those fields will only have the same values until CLD gets updated in the cloud macrophysics parameterization (in stratiform.F90). So if you check the differences between cldfrc_pbuf and cldfr before updating the buffer, you should see the differences due to CLD being updated since gas_phase_chemdr was last called.