Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

PIO Error in buildlib.pio (CESM1_2_2)

Hi, I am currently in the works of porting the CESM to the machines at Florida State Unviersity. The machines are Linux based sytstems with intel and openmpi. I have downloaded all the source code from CESM1_2_2 model and I was in the middle of buidling the pio library until I ran into an odd error that I dont not understand fully. The model output during the building sequence is show below: ------------------------------------------------------------------------- CESM BUILDNML SCRIPT STARTING - To prestage restarts, untar a restart.tar file into /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/CESM_casesUse of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/drv/bld/build-namelist line 784. infile is /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/scripts/new_test/Buildconf/cplconf/cesm_namelist  CESM BUILDNML SCRIPT HAS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CESM PRESTAGE SCRIPT STARTING - Case input data directory, DIN_LOC_ROOT, is /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/scripts/new_test/Tools - Checking the existence of input datasets in DIN_LOC_ROOT CESM PRESTAGE SCRIPT HAS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CESM BUILDEXE SCRIPT STARTINGrm: No match. COMPILER is intel - Build Libraries: mct gptl pio csm_share Wed Jun 1 11:01:04 EDT 2016 /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/mct.bldlog.160601-110059Wed Jun 1 11:01:10 EDT 2016 /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/gptl.bldlog.160601-110059Wed Jun 1 11:01:10 EDT 2016 /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio.bldlog.160601-110059ERROR: buildlib.pio failed, see /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio.bldlog.160601-110059 ERROR: cat /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio.bldlog.160601-110059  When I looked into the error output, the pio error was thrown when "linking Fortran exceutable piotest". The error output is shown below:   Linking Fortran executable piotest cd /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio/pio/unittests && /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/piotest.dir/link.txt --verbose=1 /opt/hpc/intel/openmpi/bin/mpif90    -fp-model source -convert big_endian -assume byterecl -ftz -traceback -assume realloc_lhs  -O2   -DLINUX  -DNDEBUG -DMCT_INTERFACE -DHAVE_MPI -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -DNO_R16 -DLINUX -DCPRINTEL -DHAVE_SLASHPROC -I.  -I/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/MCT/noesmf/a1l1r1i1o1g1w1/csm_share -I/opt/hpc/intel/lib64/include -I/opt/hpc/intel/openmpi/lib64/include -I/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/include -I/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/csm_share/shr CMakeFiles/piotest.dir/basic_tests.F90.o CMakeFiles/piotest.dir/driver.F90.o CMakeFiles/piotest.dir/global_vars.F90.o CMakeFiles/piotest.dir/ncdf_tests.F90.o CMakeFiles/piotest.dir/nc_set_log_level2.c.o  -o piotest  -L/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio  -L/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio/pio  ../libpio.a -LNETCDF_LIB_DIR-NOTFOUND  -lnetcdf -lirng -ldecimal -lcilkrts -lstdc++ -Wl,-rpath,/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio:/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio/pio  ../libpio.a(pio_msg_mod.F90.o): In function `pio_msg_mod_mp_pio_msg_handler_': /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x4df): undefined reference to `vara_5d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x4f3): undefined reference to `vara_4d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x507): undefined reference to `vara_3d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x51b): undefined reference to `vara_2d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x52f): undefined reference to `vara_1d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x543): undefined reference to `var_5d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x557): undefined reference to `var_4d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x56b): undefined reference to `var_3d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x57f): undefined reference to `var_2d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x593): undefined reference to `var_1d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x5a7): undefined reference to `var_0d_handler_' /panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/models/utils/pio/pio/pio_msg_mod.F90:(.text+0x5b8): undefined reference to `var1_handler_' /usr/bin/ld: link errors found, deleting executable `piotest' gmake[2]: *** [pio/unittests/piotest] Error 1 gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio' gmake[1]: *** [pio/unittests/CMakeFiles/piotest.dir/all] Error 2 gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/panfs/storage.local/home-3/jad10d/cesm1_2_2/intel/openmpi/nodebug/nothreads/pio' gmake: *** [all] Error 2 exit 2 The model is running into undefined references in the "pio_msg_mod.F90" Fortan script in the pio library. When I looked into the script, the undefined references appeared to be defined as integers. Therefore, I am confused as to what the exact error ouput means and I am hoping someone can clarify this error output in greater detail. I would greatly appreciate the help on this matter! Thank you for your time. - Jason 

This issue is resolved. The problem with downloading the CESM model recently has been correctly placing the genf90 and pio libraries in the model since the links dont work to googlecode anymore. Bascially when I downloaded the zip file of the pio library, I needed to set up the directory within cesm1_2_2/models/utils as the pio directory within the zip file and not just the unziped file of the pio1_8_12 itself

This issue is resolved. The problem with downloading the CESM model recently has been correctly placing the genf90 and pio libraries in the model since the links dont work to googlecode anymore. Bascially when I downloaded the zip file of the pio library, I needed to set up the directory within cesm1_2_2/models/utils as the pio directory within the zip file and not just the unziped file of the pio1_8_12 itself

Hi Jason,Did your pio zip file include the configure and Makefile? I couldn't find those when I set up my pio library. Thanks.George Modica

Hi Jason,Did your pio zip file include the configure and Makefile? I couldn't find those when I set up my pio library. Thanks.George Modica