Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Point to a modified build-namelist file or change lower boundary conditions

Greg Cooke

Greg Cooke
Hi, I am trying to setup a WACCM run in CESM2.1.3 where instead of a fixed mixing ratio at the atmosphere lower boundary for CH3Cl, CH4, N2O, CO, and H2, I have a fixed flux for those species. I have done this before with CH4, and it required removing CH4 from flbc_list in user_nl_cam, adding it to srf_emis_specifier, and then modyfiying the CAM build-namelist file so that the following check for CH4 does not take place:

# Make sure the flbc_list specifies all the GHGs needed for radiation.
my $flbc_list = $nl->get_value('flbc_list');
if (defined $flbc_list) {
# If flbc_list has already been defined, check that it contains all
# the GHGs needed by the radiation code.
foreach my $ghg ('CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11','CFC12') {
if ($flbc_list !~ /$ghg/) {
die "$ProgName - ERROR: $ghg is missing from flbc_list \n";

However, I would like to leave the original build-namelist file intact. Is it possible to modify the CAM build-namelist file and point to the modified file when building the model? Or is there an easier way to setup emissions for CH3Cl, CH4, N2O, CO, and H2?

Thanks,
Greg

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't know of a way of pointing to a different build-namelist script. I think this requires editing the file in the source code. I have asked a software engineer for comment. Is this still an issue for you? My apologies for the delay in replying.

Greg Cooke

Greg Cooke
No problem, thanks for the confirmation! I have just installed my own version of CESM and edited the build file, so it is not an issue, but I wasn't able to point to it in any way.

CaliFornia

CF
Hi, I am trying to setup a WACCM run in CESM2.1.3 where instead of a fixed mixing ratio at the atmosphere lower boundary for CH3Cl, CH4, N2O, CO, and H2, I have a fixed flux for those species. I have done this before with CH4, and it required removing CH4 from flbc_list in user_nl_cam, adding it to srf_emis_specifier, and then modyfiying the CAM build-namelist file so that the following check for CH4 does not take place:

# Make sure the flbc_list specifies all the GHGs needed for radiation.
my $flbc_list = $nl->get_value('flbc_list');
if (defined $flbc_list) {
# If flbc_list has already been defined, check that it contains all
# the GHGs needed by the radiation code.
foreach my $ghg ('CO2','CH4','N2O','CFC11','CFC12') {
if ($flbc_list !~ /$ghg/) {
die "$ProgName - ERROR: $ghg is missing from flbc_list \n";

However, I would like to leave the original build-namelist file intact. Is it possible to modify the CAM build-namelist file and point to the modified file when building the model? Or is there an easier way to setup emissions for CH3Cl, CH4, N2O, CO, and H2?

Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg,

Thank you for your post. I am doing something similar and you helped me to kill the CH4 missing error information.
However, my CH4 emission files seem not working well with the model. Could you give some information about how to properly prepare the emission files for CH4? My data has 3 dimensions (time, lat, lon) , 192x288 resolution, variables include 'emissions_CH4' and 'date'.

If you have time, here is the methane emission data for your reference. Thank you.