Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

precipitation in CAM

There are many variables regarding precipitation: PRECL, PRECC, PRECT, PRECCav, PRECLav

1. What is the difference between PRECL and PRECCav? If my output interval is 6 hours, is PRECCav the averaged PRECC within the 6 hour interval? and could I say if I output "PRECC:A", it is same as PRECCav?
2. The unit of both PRECC and PRECCav is m/s. But when I try to compare the daily rainfall with satelite, for which the unit of precipitation is mm, how could I transform these variables and units?

Thanks

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
It depends on you averaging flag. By default averaging flag for precipitation is "A". It means that it is averaged over the time-period between 2 outputs.So in your example, if you output every 6 hour, it is the average over the 6-hour interval preceeding your output. 

In CAM:
PRECT=PRECC+PRECL
PRECT= total precipitation
PRECC=convective precipitation
PRECL=large-scale precipitation I am not familiar with PRECCav and PRECLav but I looked in the code:PRECC=PRECCav
PRECL=PRECLavHowever, the information about PRECCav and PRECLav in the metadata is not correct.Currently, the metadata are specified in the addfld call   call addfld ('PRECCav ','m/s     ',1,    'A','Average large-scale precipitation (liq + ice)'                      ,phys_decomp)                                                          
   call addfld ('PRECLav ','m/s     ',1,    'A','Average convective precipitation  (liq + ice)'                      ,phys_decomp)    
                                                      This is INCORRECT. There is an inversion between teh description of PRECCav and PRECCav.However, the variable itself is output correctly.That said I would stick to PRECT, PRECL, and PRECC. These are defined and output correctly.