Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

./preview_namelist error CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::add_default() : No default value found for fsurdat.

March Xu

xpf199758333
Hi there,
I've ported CIME to my local machine, I've changed the config_machines.xml file which is located in $CIMEROOT/cime/config/cesm/machines/, then I also changed the config_compilers.xml file in the same path.
and I run ./create_newcase --case test_8.10 --res CLM_USRDAT --compset I1PtClm50SpGs --mach centos7-linux --run-unsupported
then I modified the env_run.xml setting the "RUN_STARTDATE","STOP_N" and I set ''ATM_DOMAIN_FILE'', '"ATM_DOMAIN_PATH", "LND_DOMAIN_FILE" and "LND_DOMAIN_PATH" to the same domain file and path created by the specific observation tower data. and set "CLM_USRDAT_NAME" to my observation tower name.
then I run ./case_setup , there is no error.
and the next step I modified the user_nl_clm by adding
hist_nhtfrq = -24
hist_mfilt = 486
and adding
streams="datm.streams.txt.CLM1PT.CLM_USRDAT 2017 2017 2018"
"datm.streams.txt.presaero.clim_2000 1 1 1"
to user_nl_datm .
then I run ./preview_namelist, which got the error I'm confused about:
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (8388608, -1)
Creating component namelists
Calling /home/clm5.0/cime/src/components/data_comps/datm/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/clm5.0/cime_config/buildnml
ERROR: Command /home/clm5.0/bld/build-namelist failed rc=255
out=
setting clm_usr_name -- but did NOT find any user datasets: 1x1_MADUO
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'sim_year' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'sim_year_range' with val 'constant'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_first_urbantv' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'stream_year_last_urbantv' with val '2000'
CLM adding use_case 2000_control defaults for var 'use_case_desc' with val 'Conditions to simulate 2000 land-use'
err=ERROR :
CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::add_default() : No default value found for fsurdat.
Are defaults provided for this resolution and land mask?

I'm pretty sure about the domain file and path are correct, so in my opinion, Is this some kind of connection with the "surface_dataset" error which I didn't modify in env_run.xml or some other namelist file? is there some log file contains the details of this error? and how I suppose to correct this error?

and I've changed "CLM_USRDAT_NAME" to 1x1_MADUO, but why
setting clm_usr_name -- but did NOT find any user datasets: 1x1_MADUO
and why after I run preview_namelist, it will still create the
clmconf datmconf datm.input_data_list
in Buildconf?

ps: I attached the file I modified

Attachments

• config_compilers.xml.txt
    42.4 KB · Views: 6
  • config_machines.xml.txt
    110.1 KB · Views: 5
  • env_run.xml.txt
    57.2 KB · Views: 5
  • user_nl_clm.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 12
  • user_nl_datm.txt
    892 bytes · Views: 13

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You need to add the path to your surface dataset in the user_nl_clm file.

So add

fsurdat = '<path to the surface dataset for your surface dataset for the 1x1_MADUO site>

You'll also need to make sure the datm streams files point to the right datasets for your atmosphere forcing data.

March Xu

xpf199758333

So add

fsurdat = '<path to the surface dataset for your surface dataset for the 1x1_MADUO site>

You'll also need to make sure the datm streams files point to the right datasets for your atmosphere forcing data.
thanks for this solution!
I will try to add fsurdat to my user_nl_clm and rerun preview_namelist

thanks a lot agin!

March Xu

xpf199758333

So add

sorry to interrupt you again,
I added
fsurdat = /home/clm5.0/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata/surfdata_1x1_maduo_simyr2000.nc
and retyped ./preview_namelist, it comes to another error:
[root@CentOS8 test_8.10]# ./preview_namelists
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (8388608, -1)
Creating component namelists
Calling /home/clm5.0/cime/src/components/data_comps/datm/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/clm5.0/cime_config/buildnml
ERROR: Command /home/clm5.0/bld/build-namelist failed rc=255
out=
err=ERROR(Build::Namelist::_parse_next): expect a F90 constant for a namelist instead got: /home/clm5.0/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/surfdata_1x1_MADUO_simyr2000.nc
is this means that my surfacedata''surfdata_1x1_MADUO_simyr2000.nc'' has something wrong??