Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problem in adding the new namelist

MikeYuan

tfYuan
Hello, I am using the I1850Clm50BgcCrop, and I wanna introduce a new element—Hg by adding the Hg deposition in CLM5. Then I did the following steps to add the new namelist, but it didn’t work, when I finished the process of build, the variable of namelist didn’t show in the lnd_in file.

1.I create a new deposition file called HgdepsteamMod and write in the Hgdepdyn_nml just like ndepdyn_nml

2.I add the code of call in the file of clm_driver and clm_initializedMod.

3.The namelist entry of Hgdep and related process are added in the file of namelist_definition_clm4_0&namelist_definition_clm4_5&namelist_defaults_clm4_5(/SourceMods/src.clm/), and 1850_control.xml (/components/clm/bld/namelist_files/ ) as well as CLMBuildNamelist.pm(/components/clm/bld/)

Any suggestions to diagnose the problem will be really helpful. The attached files are below, please~

Thank you.

Mike

Attachments

• lnd_in.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 2
  • cesm.log.15676.210601-114311.txt
    26.3 KB · Views: 1
  • HgdepStreamMod.txt
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
  • clm_initializeMod.txt
    29.8 KB · Views: 2
  • clm_driver.txt
    74.1 KB · Views: 2
  • namelist_defaults_clm4_5.txt
    210.1 KB · Views: 3
  • namelist_definition_clm4_0.txt
    37.5 KB · Views: 2
  • namelist_definition_clm4_5.txt
    113.6 KB · Views: 2
  • CLMBuildNamelist.txt
    213.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1850_control.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 2

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The namelist_default_* and namelist_definition_* files should remain in their original location (bld/namelist_files), not placed in SourceMods/src.clm.

MikeYuan

tfYuan
Thanks for your reply, Mr Oleson
I already placed them in the (bld/namelist_files), it was a manual mistake that the text should be placed the above line after the clm_driver and clm_initializedMod when I post it.
Could you help me check it again, please.
Thank you very much~

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Do you get any error messages when you run ./preview_namelists in your case directory?
What version of CLM is this (what is the output of running git describe in the top level directory of your code)?

MikeYuan

tfYuan
Thanks for your quick reply, Mr Oleson.
It didn't show any error messages when I run ./preview_namelists. The process of build didn't show error,yet.
The version I used is CESM2.1.2. The output of top level directory seems like normal, the file of lnd.log is attached below. Would you mind helping me check it, please.
Thanks for your kind~

Attachments

• lnd.log.15680.210601-193147.txt
    150.4 KB · Views: 1

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Well, I've tried your changes in my own case and had the same problem. I don't see anything wrong with your namelist modifications, but obviously something is missing. Perhaps @erik has an idea since he's more familiar with the namelist mechanism.
I see the namelist category in lnd_in (Hgdepdyn_nml) but not any of the settings.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I changed all of the instances of Hgdep to hgdep and now the namelist is generated properly. Not sure why, maybe there was a pattern matching problem in the perl routines.

MikeYuan

tfYuan
I changed all of the instances of Hgdep to hgdep and now the namelist is generated properly. Not sure why, maybe there was a pattern matching problem in the perl routines.
Oh, maybe it' the matching problem, I'll try it.
It's very appreciate it, Mr. Oleson.
Thanks a lot again!