Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problem running Icepack on mac - icc command

beardsley

Grant
I'm new to the model and trying to find my feet by running the quickstart. I'm working on a new mac (OS Catalina) and after running up against various blocks I thought I had everything installed to run - I've installed xcode, homebrew, gcc (gmake). But now when I execute ./icepack.build - following the quickstart guide in the documentation, I receive the following error (at the end). From searching online all I can find is that icc is from an intel compiler, but the associated intel compilers are proprietary that have to be bought - I'm quite sure I don't need to buy an Intel package to run the model?
Thank you

./icepack.build:

cleaning objdir

ICE_GRID = col

ICE_NXGLOB = 4

ICE_CPPDEFS = -DNXGLOB=4 -DNICELYR=7 -DNSNWLYR=1 -DNICECAT=5 -DNFSDCAT=1 -DTRAGE=1 -DTRFY=1 -DTRLVL=1 -DTRPND=1 -DTRBRI=0 -DNTRISO=0 -DNTRAERO=1 -DTRZS=0 -DNBGCLYR=7 -DTRALG=0 -DTRBGCZ=0 -DTRDOC=0 -DTRDOC=0 -DTRDIC=0 -DTRDON=0 -DTRFED=0 -DTRFEP=0 -DTRZAERO=0 -DTRBGCS=0

Filepath =

/Users/gjm/Icepack-master/configuration/driver

/Users/gjm/Icepack-master/columnphysics

building makdep

icc -o makdep /Users/gjm/mycase5/makdep.c

/bin/bash: icc: command not found[
gmake: *** [/Users/gjm/mycase5/Makefile:114: makdep] Error 127/COLOR]

Philippe Blain

Hi beardsley !

Sorry for the rough first experience you're having trying to run Icepack on your Mac.

The easiest way to run Icepack (or CICE) on personal computers is using the conda port. Detailed setup instructions can be found in the documentation:

https://cice-consortium-icepack.rea....html#porting-to-laptop-or-personal-computers

Let us know how this goes.

I think it might be good to add a link to that section upfront in the quickstart section. The quickstart as it is worded now is more for users running the model on an already supported machine.

beardsley

Grant
Thank you very much Philippe. I've followed the instructions in the section you shared and successfully completed a test run on my Mac.