Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problem with running CAM in restart mode

Hi all,

Model runs well as initial run, but When I restart the model, it crashes with the following message:
#----------------------------------------------------------
DYCORE is EUL
scon set to fixed value of 1367000.00000000000
ERROR: 0031-250 task 6: Illegal instruction
ERROR: 0031-250 task 0: Illegal instruction
ERROR: 0031-250 task 2: Illegal instruction
ERROR: 0031-250 task 4: Illegal instruction
ERROR: 0031-250 task 5: Illegal instruction
ERROR: 0031-250 task 1: Illegal instruction
ERROR: 0031-250 task 3: Illegal instruction
ERROR: 0031-250 task 7: Illegal instruction
ATTENTION: 0031-386 MP_INSTANCES setting ignored when LoadLeveler is not being used.
#----------------------------------------------------------

However, if I keep submitting the job, the model runs after few attempts.
This is only happening from a week. I am running bluefire machine. Is it a bug? or Am I missing something.
(I saw a thread which says that there is a compiler bug on bluefire, and that can be avoided by using userlist variable set inithist='none'. I did that in the run script as well as setting inithist='NONE' in "/cam1/models/atm/cam/src/control/history.F90" file.)

Thank you very much,
Bala

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
The known bug you mention happens on the 1st day of January each year. Is that true for you run?

No. It happens every time I do the restrart run. As I mentioned earlier, if i keep submitting my job for few times (sometimes works in the first attempt), the job will run eventually and the simulations are all fine.