Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problems resuming & resubmitting ccsm3 run on bluesky

I've had trouble getting my ccsm3 run to either continue from the last stopping point. I've edited the 'env_run' file so that

setenv CONTINUE_RUN TRUE
setenv RESUBMIT 2

The run has been set up as a branch off b30.004, and the first few months have finished properly, but any future runs just keep repeating the initial calculations and don't restart from the end of the last run.

Additional note: A look at the rpointer files in CASEROOT directory suggest the problem may be related to a failure of the model to produce an ocn restart file. While all other components have rpointer files that update, the ocn rpointer file remains unchanged (i.e. still 'points' to b30.004, 0400-01-01 restart file). I expect this is the problem, but can't figure out why the ocn component isn't creating restart files at the same time as the other components.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Joel

njn01

Joel,

By default, the ocean model is configured to create restart files at the end of each year. If you only ran the initial segment of your branch run for a few months, then you would not have created the ocean restart files that you needed at the end of your run.

In order to create ocean restart files at a frequency other than once per year, you will need to copy models/ocn/pop/input_templates/gx1v3_pop_in (or gx3v5_pop_in, depending on your resolution) into your CASENAME/SourceMods/src.pop directory and edit it.

To create monthly restart files, edit the namelist "restart_nml" in your copy of the pop_in file so that you change restart_freq_opt from 'nyear' to 'nmonth'.