Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Question about atmosphere forcing (CLMGSWP3v1) for CLM5?

mengqi

mj
Hi,

I am currently working on CLM5 simulations in the US Midwest. Specifically, I am using CLMGSWP3v1 mode, which is on a 3-hourly interval. However, I noticed the time slot for this dataset is just up to 2014. Thus, I was wondering if I could obtain more datasets about CLMGSWP3v1, for example, I can get a dataset up to 2023. Could anyone please give me some information on that?

Thanks!

mengqi

mj
Unfortunately, that is the last available year of GSWP3v1.
Thank you, Oleson! Sorry, there are another two quick questions:
(a) I was wondering if I could edit some new GSWP3v1 myself. If so, I am not sure if there are any guidance materials online.
(b) In addition to GSWP3v1, how about other atmosphere-forcing datasets? Not sure if the time slot is up to recent years?

Thanks!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
(a) The GSWP3V1 dataset was authored by an external collaborator. The original dataset was extended from 2010 to 2014. However, my understanding is that they don't have any plans to extend this dataset further. This is a reference if you want to contact the author:

(b) There is a CLMCRUNCEPv7 dataset you can get out of the box by specifying CLMCRUNCEPv7 in DATM_MODE. It runs through 2016. There is a CRUJRA dataset that runs through 2022. It is not available out of the box so you would need to download it somehow and create your own datm streams.
If you have access to our machines it is at:

/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/datm7/atm_forcing.datm7.CRUJRA.0.5d.c2023/TRENDY_cdf5

mengqi

mj
(a) The GSWP3V1 dataset was authored by an external collaborator. The original dataset was extended from 2010 to 2014. However, my understanding is that they don't have any plans to extend this dataset further. This is a reference if you want to contact the author:

(b) There is a CLMCRUNCEPv7 dataset you can get out of the box by specifying CLMCRUNCEPv7 in DATM_MODE. It runs through 2016. There is a CRUJRA dataset that runs through 2022. It is not available out of the box so you would need to download it somehow and create your own datm streams.
If you have access to our machines it is at:

/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/datm7/atm_forcing.datm7.CRUJRA.0.5d.c2023/TRENDY_cdf5
Thank you, Oleson! Much appreciated!