Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

question about CESM-DPLESN variables as CESM4 variables

acast

Carolina
Dear forum,

I am downscaling CESM-DPLENS. I would like to know which ones of the CESM-DPLENS variables are equivalent to soil moisture (mrlsl in kg m-2), soil temperature (tsl), and liquid snow water equivalent (snw kg m-2) from CESM4 or how can I get those variables based on the available CESM-DPLENS variables. I can see from the CESM-DPLENS information that there are several variables relevant to soil moisture, soil temperature, and snow water equivalent. I am confused as to how to use those variables to get soil moisture, soil temperature, and liquid snow water equivalent as in CESM4.

Thank you very much,

Some of the CESM-DPLENS variables that could be related to soil moisture, soil temperature and liquid snow water equivalent in CESM4

Relevant to soil moisture:
H2OSOI (unit: mm3/mm3): volumetric soil water (vegetated landunits only);
SOILLIQ (unit: kg/m2): soil liquid water (vegetated landunits only);
SOILPSI (unit: MPa): soil water potential in each soil layer;
SOILWATER_10CM (unit: kg/m2): soil liquid water + ice in top 10cm of soil (veg landunits only);
WT (unit: mm): total water storage (unsaturated soil water + groundwater veg landunits).

Relevant to soil temperature:
TSOI_10C (Unit K): soil temperature in top 10 cm of soil
TSOI_ICE (Unit K): soil temperature (ice landunits only)
TSOI (Unit K): soil temperature (vegetated landunits only)

Relevant to snow water equivalent:
H2OSNO_TOP (units kg/m2) : mass of snow in top snow layer
SNOWHLND (m): Water equivalent snow depth

strandwg

Staff member
Dear forum,

I am downscaling CESM-DPLENS. I would like to know which ones of the CESM-DPLENS variables are equivalent to soil moisture (mrlsl in kg m-2), soil temperature (tsl), and liquid snow water equivalent (snw kg m-2) from CESM4 or how can I get those variables based on the available CESM-DPLENS variables. I can see from the CESM-DPLENS information that there are several variables relevant to soil moisture, soil temperature, and snow water equivalent. I am confused as to how to use those variables to get soil moisture, soil temperature, and liquid snow water equivalent as in CESM4.

Thank you very much,

Some of the CESM-DPLENS variables that could be related to soil moisture, soil temperature and liquid snow water equivalent in CESM4

Relevant to soil moisture:
H2OSOI (unit: mm3/mm3): volumetric soil water (vegetated landunits only);
SOILLIQ (unit: kg/m2): soil liquid water (vegetated landunits only);
SOILPSI (unit: MPa): soil water potential in each soil layer;
SOILWATER_10CM (unit: kg/m2): soil liquid water + ice in top 10cm of soil (veg landunits only);
WT (unit: mm): total water storage (unsaturated soil water + groundwater veg landunits).

Relevant to soil temperature:
TSOI_10C (Unit K): soil temperature in top 10 cm of soil
TSOI_ICE (Unit K): soil temperature (ice landunits only)
TSOI (Unit K): soil temperature (vegetated landunits only)

Relevant to snow water equivalent:
H2OSNO_TOP (units kg/m2) : mass of snow in top snow layer
SNOWHLND (m): Water equivalent snow depth

There's no field called "mrlsl" but
"mrsll" is the same as SOILLIQ
"tsl" is TSOI
"snw" is H2OSNO