Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Questions about Ocean BCG in CESM1.2.2

Redlichia

Yihui Chen
Hello, everyone!I am a rookie about CESM-BGC. I am running fully coupled paleoclimate simulation (use B1850) with CESM1.2.2. The ocean tracer module is set to "iage ecosys" for this simulation. I used the initial field in the paleoclimate that I set up, and the model has worked successfully for 3000 years.
When I check the simulation results of the biogeochemical module, among these variables, I find that the pop2 module does not have a given variable NPP (net primary production).
But when I read many paper about CESM1.2.2, I find that the global distribution of NPP is presented for both modern climate and future scenarios. But I did not find NPP in the model output. So I have one question:
The NPP (ocean net primary production) distribution in the article, Is it calculated, or is it output directly the mode directly? If it is calculated by oneself, is it calculated by the standard VGPM model ?
I would appreciate it if you could answer my question, your reply will be of great use to me, Thanks a lot.
Send my best wishes for you ! Thoughts like spring, the world full of peaches and plums!
Kind regards,
Chen.

Qubl-ouc

Binglin Qu
Hello, everyone!I am a rookie about CESM-BGC. I am running fully coupled paleoclimate simulation (use B1850) with CESM1.2.2. The ocean tracer module is set to "iage ecosys" for this simulation. I used the initial field in the paleoclimate that I set up, and the model has worked successfully for 3000 years.
When I check the simulation results of the biogeochemical module, among these variables, I find that the pop2 module does not have a given variable NPP (net primary production).
But when I read many paper about CESM1.2.2, I find that the global distribution of NPP is presented for both modern climate and future scenarios. But I did not find NPP in the model output. So I have one question:
The NPP (ocean net primary production) distribution in the article, Is it calculated, or is it output directly the mode directly? If it is calculated by oneself, is it calculated by the standard VGPM model ?
I would appreciate it if you could answer my question, your reply will be of great use to me, Thanks a lot.
Send my best wishes for you ! Thoughts like spring, the world full of peaches and plums!
Kind regards,
Chen.
Dear Chen,

I have a similar problem to yours. I would like to know how do you solve the problem of exporting pop2 variables which don't exist.

Thanks!

Redlichia

Yihui Chen
Dear Chen,

I have a similar problem to yours. I would like to know how do you solve the problem of exporting pop2 variables which don't exist.

Thanks!
Hello, the variables that are not in the output, we need to calculate them separately.

lee

Yulan
Sorry to bother you, the problem has been solved.
Hello, I want to ask a question about the output file. I ran the compset "I2000Clm50Cn", the case build and submit are successfully, but I cannot find the NC output file...I want to get GPP data of CLM5 for my research, Did you meet this situation before, could you help me? (When I ran the "I2000Clm50SpGs" compset, I can get the output, but there is no GPP, so I want to try CN model, there is no output anywhere)

Thank you very much!!!