Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Questions on data of surface shortwave radiation flux over sea ice in CESM2 results

Jerry

Cao
Recently I have downloaded the dataset of surface downward and upward shortwave radiation flux over sea ice of CESM2 model results in order to get the surface albedo.

And here are the detailed information of the two variables:
1661833668627.png
1661833681098-png.2699

I can get the sea ice surface albedo by calculating the ratio of upward to downward shortwave radiation flux.
However, I don't know whether the albedo calculated above takes into account the effect of sea ice concentration. In other words, I want to know whether the albedo is the sea ice albedo or the mean albedo of the grid box where the sea ice is located. This is important because there can be significant differences between them due to the presence of open water.

Look forward to your reply. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1661833681098.png
    1661833681098.png
    51 KB · Views: 33

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Jerry,

I am moving this question over to the sea ice model forum, as they'll most likely have the answer to your question.

Hope that helps!

Jesse

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
As long as you use the "si" quantities you do not need to worry about sea ice area / fraction. These are the fluxes only over the sea ice covered portion. If you want a "gridcell" albedo, then you should use the atmospheric quantities.

Jerry

Cao
As long as you use the "si" quantities you do not need to worry about sea ice area / fraction. These are the fluxes only over the sea ice covered portion. If you want a "gridcell" albedo, then you should use the atmospheric quantities.
Thanks a lot for answering my doubts!