Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

rad_cnst_init: checking for radiative constituents ERROR: list_init2 ERROR: cannot find constituent field O3

CaliFornia

CF
Hi everyone,

I am running simulations to calculate aerosol-cloud interaction. Error appeared shortly after the simulation started to run. Tail of atm.log:

bulk_props_init: finished for SULFATE
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file ocpho_rrtmg_c130709.nc
(GETFIL): using /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/physprops/ocpho_rrtmg_c130709.nc
bulk_props_init: finished for OCPHO
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file ocphi_rrtmg_c100508.nc
(GETFIL): using /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/physprops/ocphi_rrtmg_c100508.nc
bulk_props_init: finished for OCPHI
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file bcpho_rrtmg_c100508.nc
(GETFIL): using /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/physprops/bcpho_rrtmg_c100508.nc
bulk_props_init: finished for BCPHO
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file dust_aeronet_rrtmg_c141106.nc
(GETFIL): using /glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/physprops/dust_aeronet_rrtmg_c141106.nc
bulk_props_init: finished for DUST4
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file ssam_rrtmg_c100508.nc
(GETFIL): using
/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/atm/cam/physprops/ssam_rrtmg_c100508.nc
bulk_props_init: finished for SSAM
rad_cnst_init: checking for radiative constituents
ERROR: list_init2 ERROR: cannot find constituent field O3

The parts about O3 or chemistry in my scripts are probably:

./xmlchange -file env_build.xml -id CAM_CONFIG_OPTS -val '-phys cam6 -chem trop_mam4 -offline_dyn -nlev 56'

rad_diag_1 = 'A:Q:H2O', 'N:O2:O2', 'N:CO2:CO2', 'A:O3:O3', 'N:N2O:N2O', 'N:CH4:CH4', 'N:CFC11:CFC11', 'N:CFC12:CFC12',

Does anyone know about this issue? Now I changed the 'A:O3:O3' to 'N:ozone:O3' as in the user manual and submitted a new try. Not sure if it will work.
BTW, if I just want to start a run for, like 3 days, to test my codes and settings, is there a way to avoid the LONG waiting time on Cheyenne? What I did is set wall time to 30min and use a premium queue just for testing.

Thank you!
Best regards,
CF

sacks

Bill Sacks
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Please post this to the atmosphere forums with all of the information requested here:

Regarding your final question: setting walltime and the premium queue are good strategies. If you still experience long queue wait times, another thing you can do is to use fewer processors (by changing the various NTASKS xml variables; see also 5. Controlling processors and threads — CIME master documentation).