Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Random-number seed in CESM-LE

ryoung2

Ralph Young
The multiple simulations reported in a paper describing the CESM Large Ensemble Project [J. E. Kay et al., BAMS 96, 1333 (2015)] used a Monte-Carlo treatment of cloud cover. Was the same random-number seed used for each member of the ensemble? Or, did each member run through a different sequence of random numbers?

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
I assume you are referring to McICA code. I believe the seed depends on the column state, so it would be different between every ensemble.
I will ask around if I can get a better answer.

ryoung2

Ralph Young
I assume that McICA means Monte-Carlo Independent Column Approximation, and that is the proper context. The seed would be set at the beginning of the simulation, and the input files probably allowed the user to set it for purposes of debugging (so that the computation would proceed through the same sequence of (pseudo)random numbers if the programmer needed to find a bug).

Thanks for taking up the cudgel!

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
I tried to ask around for more replies but I haven't found something more specify.
It looks to me the seed is defined in:
components/cam/src/physics/rrtmg/aer_src/mcica_subcol_gen_sw.f90
components/cam/src/physics/rrtmg/aer_src/mcica_subcol_gen_lw.f90
by the subroutine: kiss_seed

ryoung2

Ralph Young
If kiss_seed is like a version that I found online, it can generate a random number seed by itself or accept a user-specified seed. Is it possible to find and examine the files that were used by whoever initiated the simulations? Or, is there an internal Technical Note that documents the simulations in Kay et al. at that level of detail?

If the answer to both questions is "No" or "It's not easy", it's time for me to give up and thank you for trying!

I wish you a pleasant holiday and a safe and satisfying new year.

Ralph