Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

regional MOSART mode questions

syang

Shawn Yang
Dear all,

I am running a regional CLM case "I2000Clm50BgcCruGs" with own resolution CLM_USRDAT (0.1 x 0.1). I would like to add MOSART mode into it to see the streams, runoff, etc. features. My region is basically between 96-120E and 32-42N. I have created my own domain file, surface file and forcing files. However, It looks like the MOSART is turned off by default and it could run successfully under this condition. Once I turned it on manually (set MOSART_MODE ACTIVE manually), an error: "ROF_GRID is null MOSART_MODE not NULL" shows up.

So, I would like to ask how can I add MOSART mode into my case? I noticed some posts tried default resolution. I would like to know is that possible to use my own dataset to run MOSART mode. Also, I would like to know is there a default case with MOSART mode covered my study aera (96-120E and 32-42N)?

here's what I did for the regional case:
./create_newcase --case /cime/Yellowriver_01x01_droughts --compset I2000Clm50BgcCruGs --res CLM_USRDAT --mach yangs --run-unsupported
./xmlchange --file env_run.xml --id CLM_BLDNML_OPTS --val "-bgc bgc -crop"
./xmlchange --file env_run.xml --id DATM_MODE --val "CLMGSWP3v1"
./xmlchange --file env_run.xml --id ATM_DOMAIN_FILE --val domain.lnd.Yellowriver_01X01_Yellowriver_01X01.230519.nc
./xmlchange --file env_run.xml --id LND_DOMAIN_FILE --val domain.lnd.Yellowriver_01X01_Yellowriver_01X01.230519.nc
./xmlchange --file env_run.xml --id RUN_STARTDATE --val 2000-01-01
./xmlchange --file env_run.xml --id DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_START --val 2000
./xmlchange --file env_run.xml --id DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END --val 2018

./case.setup
export fsurdat=/data/ese-yangs/clm5_cases/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/surfdata_Heihe_005x005_2_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850_c210421.nc

modified user_nl_clm file
fsurdat="/data/ese-yangs/clm5_cases/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/surfdata_Yellowriver_01X01_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_simyr1850_c230520.nc"
finidat="/work/ese-yangs/Yellowriver_restart/Yellowriver_01x01_droughts.clm2.r.2004-01-01-00000.nc"
hist_mfilt = 365
hist_nhtfrq = -24
use_init_interp = .true.
init_interp_fill_missing_with_natveg = .true.

./case.build

modified the stream files

Thank you. Any help is appreciated.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
My understanding is that it is not straightforward to make MOSART active for a regional simulation, it requires a lot of work, so you might consider whether you really need it. And we don't have any instructions in the User's Guide for this. See the post here for a discussion:

I'll ping some people here that might have more experience with this... @slevis , @erik , @swensosc

syang

Shawn Yang
My understanding is that it is not straightforward to make MOSART active for a regional simulation, it requires a lot of work, so you might consider whether you really need it. And we don't have any instructions in the User's Guide for this. See the post here for a discussion:

I'll ping some people here that might have more experience with this... @slevis , @erik , @swensosc
Hi Oleson,

I really appreciate your reply. I am currently focusing on hydrology part so if I can add MOSART it would be great.

Also, I met some problem when I run the I2000Clm50BgcCruGs case without MOSART. My runoff values are not matched with the observations. So, I would like to know are there some parameters controling runoff and can be modified to reguate the runoff output?

Thank you

slevis

When you say without MOSART, do you mean that you are running with RTM or with no river routing? So is your runoff output from river routing or just clm's surface runoff variable in the history file?

If it's clm's surface runoff variable in the history file, then this is not really comparable to observed river flow. You could read the clm technical note (link below) for details on the model's soil hydrology.

Last edited:

syang

Shawn Yang
When you say without MOSART, do you mean that you are running with RTM or with no river routing? So is your runoff output from river routing or just clm's surface runoff variable in the history file?

If it's clm's surface runoff variable in the history file, then this is not really comparable to observed river flow. You could read the clm technical note (link below) for details on the model's soil hydrology.

Hi Slevis,

I am sorry for the late response due to busy schedule. Thank you for your clarification.

I am running a CLM case "I2000Clm50BgcCruGs" with my own resolution CLM_USRDAT (0.1 x 0.1) using CLM5.0. The runoff ('QOVER') results are obtained from "****.hist.nc files". I noticed RTM is in the CLM4.5. I did not see any setup of RTM in CLM5.0. Could you let me know where I can run RTM in CLM5.0? And is that possible to run a regional MOSART for my case? Or can you let me know are there any parameters I can modify to control the runoff? My current results show a simultaneous trend with precipitation. I think there should be a delay due to unsaturated soil moisture.

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you so much.

syang

Shawn Yang
A possible partial answer starts here and continues with links from that thread:
Thank you! I will try it!