Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Request for help in getting information about the diameter range in different modes of the aerosol particles

csp

CSP
Dear Experts,
Good morning again. I am facing an issue with the modal diameter range, I am unable to figure out the exact range of diameter of aerosols that are used in different modes. Going through the code, it seems like there are a total 4 number of modes (referred to as nmodes or ntot_amode in the code) in the aerosol size spectra. Could you please let me know the range of diameters that are included in different modes?
For instance, as of now, I am assuming:
Code:
 if( D(ix, jx) < 0.05) m = 1
             if( D(ix, jx) >= 0.05 .and. D(ix, jx) >= 0.5) m = 2
             if( D(ix, jx) >= 0.5 .and. D(ix, jx) >= 5) m = 3
             if( D(ix, jx) >= 5 ) m = 4

Could anyone please comment/suggest in this regard? Any advice would be very helpful to accelerate our work, many thanks for your consistent help and cooperation.

fvitt

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The size parameters of the modes are defined in the physics properties files listed in the rad_climate namelist setting.
The netcdf variables are :

double dgnum ;
dgnum:long_name = "nominal geometric mean diameter for number distribution" ;
dgnum:units = "m" ;
double dgnumlo ;
dgnumlo:long_name = "lower bound on geometric mean diameter for number distribution" ;
dgnumlo:units = "m" ;
double dgnumhi ;
dgnumhi:long_name = "upper bound on geometric mean diameter for number distribution" ;
dgnumhi:units = "m" ;

Subroutine rad_cnst_get_mode_props in rad_constituents.F90 provides and interface to get these parameters.

Reactions: csp

csp

CSP
@fvitt Many thanks for your reply and my apologies for the delay. Actually, I was trying to understand and implement. So effectively, I should print
Code:
dgnumlo
Code:
dgnumhi
to find out the minimum and maximum value of diameter in the modes respectively? In addition to that, could I find out the exact values of the diameter range in each mode? Any further comments/suggestions would be very helpful, many thanks in advance.