Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Rerun BHIST CESM2 with less output failed

Hi,

I want to rerun year 1900 of a BHIST CESM2 simulation (case.build --clean; case.build). The original run had several streams defined in user_nl_cam with fincl2, fincl3, fincl4 , etc. In order to save disk space we have deleted the no longer used cam.h3, cam.h4, etc. files. In user_nl_cam I now only define stream fincl2, fincl3 and no longer fincl4, etc. However the simulation crashes with

Code:
GETFIL: FAILED to get b.e212.BHISTcmip6.f09_g17.0400.cam.h3.1900-01-01-00000.nc

I guess cesm still looks for the cam.h3, etc. files, because the filenames are listed in b.e212.BHISTcmip6.f09_g17.0400.cam.r.1900-01-01-00000.nc? Is this correct? How can I avoid this?

Thank you for your help!
Urs

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
Hi Urs,

You cannot modify the cam output in the middle of a run. You cannot resubmit a run (CONTINUE_RUN=TRUE) if you modify the fincl in user_nal_cam.
What you need to do is to do a branch run. You can keep the same name as the initial run and but you can change the output in your branch run.

Some information about branch run can be found at:

Cecile

Last edited: