Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Restart files of CESM2.1 experiments

xiangli

Xiang Li
Dear all,

I'm searching for the restart files of some specific CESM2.1 experiments.

This link (CESM2 Experiments, Data & Diagnostic Output) shows the output of the listed experiments. Can we obtain the restart files of these experiments as well? Specifically, I'm looking for restart files of the historical experiments.

In addition, do we have the experiment with boundary conditions fixed at 2000 (like piControl with boundary conditions fixed at the pre-industrial)? If so, may I have the restart files of this run as well?

Thanks,
Xiang

strandwg

Staff member
Dear all,

I'm searching for the restart files of some specific CESM2.1 experiments.

This link (CESM2 Experiments, Data & Diagnostic Output) shows the output of the listed experiments. Can we obtain the restart files of these experiments as well? Specifically, I'm looking for restart files of the historical experiments.

In addition, do we have the experiment with boundary conditions fixed at 2000 (like piControl with boundary conditions fixed at the pre-industrial)? If so, may I have the restart files of this run as well?

Thanks,
Xiang

All of the restarts from the CESM2.1 FV1 (f09_g17) resolution historical runs are available at the following Globus endpoint

The restarts from the FV1 1850 control run are at

xiangli

Xiang Li
All of the restarts from the CESM2.1 FV1 (f09_g17) resolution historical runs are available at the following Globus endpoint

The restarts from the FV1 1850 control run are at

Hi Gary,

Do we have those restart files for f19_g17 and/or f19_g16 as well? Sorry that I did not mention the resolution.

Like the 1850 control run, do we have the run with forcing at Year 2000? I'm also looking for the restart files from this case.

Thanks,
Xiang

strandwg

Staff member
Hi Gary,

Do we have those restart files for f19_g17 and/or f19_g16 as well? Sorry that I did not mention the resolution.

Like the 1850 control run, do we have the run with forcing at Year 2000? I'm also looking for the restart files from this case.

Thanks,
Xiang

The historical FV2 run restarts are at

The FV2 pre-industrial control run restarts are at

We did not run a fixed-at-2000 simulation.

xiangli

Xiang Li
The historical FV2 run restarts are at

The FV2 pre-industrial control run restarts are at

We did not run a fixed-at-2000 simulation.
Hi Gary,

Thanks for providing these links!

Do I need to set the user_nl_* files if I'm going to run some simulations based on these restart files? Where can I get the user_nl_* files?

Thanks,
Xiang

strandwg

Staff member
Hi Gary,

Thanks for providing these links!

Do I need to set the user_nl_* files if I'm going to run some simulations based on these restart files? Where can I get the user_nl_* files?

Thanks,
Xiang

Attached are the CASEROOT directories for these four FV2 runs.

Attachments

• b.e21.BHIST.f19_g17.CMIP6-historical-2deg.003_CASEROOT.tar.gz
    163.7 KB · Views: 4
  • b.e21.BHIST.f19_g17.CMIP6-historical-2deg.002_CASEROOT.tar.gz
    163.6 KB · Views: 1
  • b.e21.B1850.f19_g17.CMIP6-piControl-2deg.001_CASEROOT.tar.gz
    163.5 KB · Views: 1
  • b.e21.BHIST.f19_g17.CMIP6-historical-2deg.001_CASEROOT.tar.gz
    160.9 KB · Views: 1

xiangli

Xiang Li
Attached are the CASEROOT directories for these four FV2 runs.
Hi Gary,

Thanks for sending these file to me.

For the BHIST runs, is my understanding correct that 001, 002, and 003 have slightly different initial conditions from each other?

It seems that only restart files from 001 can be found through the Globus link above. Could you please add those from 002 and 003 as well?

Thanks,
Xiang

strandwg

Staff member
Hi Gary,

Thanks for sending these file to me.

For the BHIST runs, is my understanding correct that 001, 002, and 003 have slightly different initial conditions from each other?

It seems that only restart files from 001 can be found through the Globus link above. Could you please add those from 002 and 003 as well?

Thanks,
Xiang

Yes, 001, 002 and 003 start from different times of the 2 degree 1850 control.

Both 002 and 003 have been added to the Globus link.

xiangli

Xiang Li
Yes, 001, 002 and 003 start from different times of the 2 degree 1850 control.

Both 002 and 003 have been added to the Globus link.
Hi Gary,

I was trying doing a branch run based on the restart files from the FV2 BHIST 001 run. Before building the case, I copied the user_nl_* files to the case directory and modified the env_run.xml as follows:

1709134766751.png

1709134789447.png

Here is where I deposit the restart files:

1709134859829.png

However, the case failed, with the following messages:

1709134974404.png

1709135012044.png

1709135055653.png

1709135083333.png

Any suggestions on that would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Xiang

xiangli

Xiang Li
I'm not expert on running the model - a new thread on this subforum would be a good idea.
Hi Gary,

Following the reply of this thread, I checked the atm.log for detailed information:

1709224012858.png

This error has also been reported in several other threads but it seems not solved yet. Some people suggest that the input data are broken or incomplete.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could take a look at it.

Thanks,
Xiang

xiangli

Xiang Li
I can't help you with model errors. Sorry.
Hi Gary,

When preparing the B1850 piControl case, there is a input file missing which I was not able to download using the following command:

1709240656296.png

Could you please send the data to me?

/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/initdata/clm50_release-clm5.0.24_2deg_CPLHST_yr480_1850pAD.clm2.r.1240-01-01-00000.nc

Thanks,
Xiang

strandwg

Staff member
The "/glade/p/cesmdata" location no longer exists; your local version of "check_input_data" is old.

I'm not sure how that script gets updated.

xiangli

Xiang Li
The "/glade/p/cesmdata" location no longer exists; your local version of "check_input_data" is old.

I'm not sure how that script gets updated.
Thanks Gary for letting me know that.

Hi Jim,

@jedwards

How shall I update my check_input_data script?

Previously I have already done this:

1709311713893.png

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks,
Xiang

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not sure where you are getting the /glade/p/cesmdata path from, the correct path is:
/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata

xiangli

Xiang Li
I'm not sure where you are getting the /glade/p/cesmdata path from, the correct path is:
/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata
Hi Jim,

This is from line 23 of the user_nl_clm that Gary sent to me for restarting this simulation.

1709313738433.png

Could you please send this file to me?

Thanks,
Xiang