Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Run Error: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference

Josefine

SHI Jiaqi
Hi,
I am trying CESM2.2.
I created case with compset of B1850 and f09xg17.
My machine is not supported (ported), with linux, GCC 4.9.4 and mvapich2-2.2.
Build has successed. But run failed.
I have attached the 3 logs.
I guess sth wrong with the input of the file? But ‘check_input_data’ showed nothing wrong
Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachments

• cesm.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 23
  • cpllog.txt
    45.1 KB · Views: 12
  • atmlog.txt
    24 KB · Views: 10

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I checked out tag release-cesm2.2.0 on NCAR's cheyenne computer and ran ./create_newcase --compset B1850 --res f09_g17 --case test_b1850; ./case.setup; ./case.build; ./case.submit. The job ran past the atmospheric initialization phase where your job stops (and I then halted it by hand as I did not want to waste the resources).

Make sure that you have not run out of disk space in either the location where you are running or the inputdata location as running out of disk space can give random errors.

To get more information on a rebuild/run, try doing an ./xmlchange DEBUG=TRUE before you do the case.build. That may actually give you a traceback which will give a better idea of what is going wrong.

Josefine

SHI Jiaqi
I checked out tag release-cesm2.2.0 on NCAR's cheyenne computer and ran ./create_newcase --compset B1850 --res f09_g17 --case test_b1850; ./case.setup; ./case.build; ./case.submit. The job ran past the atmospheric initialization phase where your job stops (and I then halted it by hand as I did not want to waste the resources).

Make sure that you have not run out of disk space in either the location where you are running or the inputdata location as running out of disk space can give random errors.

To get more information on a rebuild/run, try doing an ./xmlchange DEBUG=TRUE before you do the case.build. That may actually give you a traceback which will give a better idea of what is going wrong.
Thanks for your advice! I'll take a try!

dayon

Thanks for your advice! I'll take a try!
Have you solved the problem? I encountered the same problem.
The log show the information "Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference." Could you give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Josefine

SHI Jiaqi
Have you solved the problem? I encountered the same problem.
The log show the information "Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference." Could you give me some suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Hi Dayon,
I have solved the problem. In my case this is a problem related to environent, the supporting softwares(I mean pnetcdf netcdf and so on)....In my problem is, pnetcdf is not built based on the netcdf, and I installed netcdf and pnetcdf by myself and checked the path when installing. Hope this work for you!