Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Running a cesm1.2 branch simulation with cesm1.0 restart files: Is it possible to use cesm1.0 ocean module?

Dear all,I am using cesm1.2.2 with intel compiler version 14 on a Cray XC30 machine with the B_1850-2000_BGC_BPRP compset and resolution 0.9x1.25_gx1v6.I'm trying to initialize a cesm1.2.2 hybrid-start case with cesm1.0 binary restart files. As the ocean ecosystem model has changed considerably in cesm1.2 compared to 1.0, I was advised to run the ocean as a startup (https://bb.cgd.ucar.edu/initialize-cesm122-hybrid-case-cesm10-binary-restar-files-pop-aborting-could-not-find-field-binary), whereas computationally this works perfectly fine. However, running the ocean as a startup doesn't really fullfill my requirements on the branch run. My question is therefore whether it is possible to use cesm1.2.2 as model version but the cesm1.0 ocean module to do the intended simulation? And if this is possible, how to set this?Thanks for your help and best wishesSandro

santos

I don't think that you can use the older version of POP2 in CESM 1.2, but I don't have any other suggestions since I'm not very familiar with POP. I'm going to move this question to the POP forum, but there may not be many people ready to answer right now. A lot of people either have this week off, or are busy preparing for the CESM workshop next week.

santos

I don't think that you can use the older version of POP2 in CESM 1.2, but I don't have any other suggestions since I'm not very familiar with POP. I'm going to move this question to the POP forum, but there may not be many people ready to answer right now. A lot of people either have this week off, or are busy preparing for the CESM workshop next week.

santos

njn01

"My question is therefore whether it is possible to use cesm1.2.2 as model version but the cesm1.0 ocean module to do the intended simulation? And if this is possible, how to set this?"If it were technically possible to do what you propose, you would need expert-level knowledge and skill to do so, in order to ensure that you are correctly handling all of the "old" ocean-model interactions with the "new" cesm system. Unfortunately, here are no in-house resources to help you with this task, as far as I am aware.  Again, from a technical perspective, if you want to use cesm1.2.2, I think your best course of action is to follow the advice klindsay gave you in your original post, which was to run your own spin-up case to use as initial conditions to your B_1850-2000_BGC_BPRP compset case. However, from a scientific perspective, you should pay close attention to klindsay's caveat: "Please note that there are no coupled scientifically supported configurations in CESM 1.2 that include the ocean ecosystem. This version of the ocean ecosystem model has not been vetted in coupled simulations

njn01

"My question is therefore whether it is possible to use cesm1.2.2 as model version but the cesm1.0 ocean module to do the intended simulation? And if this is possible, how to set this?"If it were technically possible to do what you propose, you would need expert-level knowledge and skill to do so, in order to ensure that you are correctly handling all of the "old" ocean-model interactions with the "new" cesm system. Unfortunately, here are no in-house resources to help you with this task, as far as I am aware.  Again, from a technical perspective, if you want to use cesm1.2.2, I think your best course of action is to follow the advice klindsay gave you in your original post, which was to run your own spin-up case to use as initial conditions to your B_1850-2000_BGC_BPRP compset case. However, from a scientific perspective, you should pay close attention to klindsay's caveat: "Please note that there are no coupled scientifically supported configurations in CESM 1.2 that include the ocean ecosystem. This version of the ocean ecosystem model has not been vetted in coupled simulations

njn01