Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

running CAM4 with prescribed SSTs

swenson

Hello,
I can successfully run CAM4 with default 1x1 climatological SSTs on bluefire (CCSM4 in F_2000 mode at 1.9x2.5_gx1v6 resolution). Now I am trying to run with SSTs from another dataset (e.g., AMIP-style).

I've set DOCN_SSTDATA_FILENAME to my SST file name. I've also set DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_START and DOCN_SSTDATA_YEAR_END to be consistent with that in the file. The format of my SST file is equivalent to the climatological file. Still, the model fails when initializing - cpl.log ends with the following:

(seq_mct_drv) : Initialize ocn component

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

swenson

To be more clear, according to the ocn.log, the model stops when reading reading the SST file, so I figure there must be a problem with the file itself. What I first did was simply take the default climatological file (hurrel_sst_ifrac.1x1.050606.nc) and modify it so that the time/date was consistent and had a 365_day calendar.

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
One characteristic of the CAM standalone configuration is that all the components use the same grid, in particular, they all use the atm grid. The F compsets are the methodology for running CAM standalone using the CCSM scripts. I was not aware that the F compsets allowed you to run the ocn/ice components on the gx1v6 grid, although your message implies you were successful doing that. But in looking at the compset that is set up for an AMIP run, i.e., F_AMIP, it appears that those compsets do restrict all components to run on the atm grid. The only grids that appear to be supported are f09_f09 and f19_f19. So my only suggestion would be to try using the F_AMIP compset.

swenson

Thanks a lot! I tried f19_f19 and it appears to run just fine now.

Originally I tried to run at f19_g16 because the resources I find online for CCSM4 in stand-alone mode seem to indicate that the only scientifically validated configurations use the g16 (gx1v6) docn grid - consistent with the comments after create_case. Maybe this was updated and I missed it. Nevertheless, I really appreciate you help.