Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Running CESM on Derecho

colepersch

Cole Persch
Hello,

I am having some trouble running CESM on Derecho and could use some advice.
So far, I have done the following in my home directory

git clone GitHub - ESCOMP/CESM: The Community Earth System Model my_cesm_sandbox
cd my_cesm_sandbox
git checkout cesm2_3_beta15
./manage_externals/checkout_externals
cd cime/scripts
./create_test

I then received the following error message

ERROR: Could not initialize machine object from /glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml. This machine is not available for the target CIME_MODEL.

I've also tried the script 'create_newcase' a couple of times with different compsets and grids, always specifying --machine derecho. I then will get an output as follows

cime/scripts> ./create_newcase --case ./test --compset B1850 --res T31_g37 --mach derecho
Compset longname is 1850_CAM60_CLM50%BGC-CROP_CICE_POP2%ECO_MOSART_CISM2%GRIS-NOEVOLVE_WW3_BGC%BDRD
Compset specification file is /glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/cime_config/config_compsets.xml
Automatically adding SESP to compset
Compset forcing is 1850
Com forcing is Biogeochemistry intercomponent with diagnostic CO2
ATM component is CAM cam6 physics:
LND component is clm5.0:BGC (vert. resol. CN and methane) with prognostic crop:
ICE component is Sea ICE (cice) model version 6
OCN component is POP2 Ecosystem
ROF component is MOSART: MOdel for Scale Adaptive River Transport
GLC component is cism2:include non-evolving Greenland Ice Sheet:
WAV component is Wave Watch
ESP component is Stub external system processing (ESP) component
Pes specification file is /glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/cime_config/config_pes.xml
Compset specific settings: name is RUN_STARTDATE and value is 0001-01-01
ERROR: No machine derecho found

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Cole

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Cole,

Is there any reason you need to use the beta15 tag specifically? If not then I might recommend using the latest alpha tag (cesm2_3_alpha16g) instead, as that tag does have a defined derecho configuration option.

Of course if for some reason the latest tag doesn't work for you then please let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse

CaliFornia

CF
Hi Cole,

Is there any reason you need to use the beta15 tag specifically? If not then I might recommend using the latest alpha tag (cesm2_3_alpha16g) instead, as that tag does have a defined derecho configuration option.

Of course if for some reason the latest tag doesn't work for you then please let me know.

Jesse
Hi Jesse,

Thank you for the information! I just met the same issue when using CESM2.2.0. But as instructed on the tutorial, git tag --list 'release-cesm*' does not show anything about cesm2.3. Is the cesm2_3_alpha16g an officially released version that we can trust and based on which we can publish papers?

Thank you.

Yuan Sun

Yuan Sun
Hi Jesse,

Thank you for the information! I just met the same issue when using CESM2.2.0. But as instructed on the tutorial, git tag --list 'release-cesm*' does not show anything about cesm2.3. Is the cesm2_3_alpha16g an officially released version that we can trust and based on which we can publish papers?

Thank you.
The cesm2_3_alpha16g is not a released version but 'taged'. There are 'releases' and 'tags': Tags · ESCOMP/CESM.

You can run:
>git clone -b cesm2_3_alpha16g GitHub - ESCOMP/CESM: The Community Earth System Model my_cesm_sandbox

to download the source code.

dharmendraks841

Dharmendra Kumar Singh
Hi Everyone,
Could you please suggest more regarding the following information from UCAR help
I am using CAM 6.3 of CESM2
Hello DK,

You are trying to submit a job to the 'regular' queue, but there is no 'regular' queue on Derecho. It's likely that you are using a version of CESM that is not ported to Derecho. I would recommend running a version of the model that has been ported to Derecho, as porting it yourself can be difficult. You should consult CESM support at the CESM Bulletin Board for details, but I believe they have several ported versions available.

Dharmendra

dharmendraks841

Dharmendra Kumar Singh
The above email I received for the following ERROR while ./case.submit

ERROR: Command: 'qsub -q regular -l walltime=03:00:00 -A UIUC0044 -v ARGS_FOR_SCRIPT='--resubmit' .case.run' failed with error 'b'No route to host\nqsub: cannot connect to server chadmin2.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu (errno=113)'' from dir '/glade/work/dksingh/cases/hybrid_2035bssp245smbb'

Please look and resolve the following error encountered while ./case.submit

(base) dksingh@cheyenne3:/glade/work/dksingh/cases/hybrid_2035bssp245smbb> ./case.submit

Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (307200000, -1)

GET_REFCASE is false, the user is expected to stage the refcase to the run directory.

Creating component namelists

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml

CAM namelist copy: file1 /glade/work/dksingh/cases/hybrid_2035bssp245smbb/Buildconf/camconf/atm_in file2 /glade/scratch/dksingh/hybrid_2035bssp245smbb/run/atm_in

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/components/clm//cime_config/buildnml

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/components/cice//cime_config/buildnml

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/components/pop//cime_config/buildnml

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/components/mosart//cime_config/buildnml

Running /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/components/cism//cime_config/buildnml

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/components/ww3//cime_config/buildnml

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sesp/cime_config/buildnml

Calling /glade/work/dksingh/code/my_cesm_code/cime/src/drivers/mct/cime_config/buildnml

Finished creating component namelists

Checking that inputdata is available as part of case submission

Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (-1, -1)

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/clm.input_data_list'

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cpl.input_data_list'

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/pop.input_data_list'

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/ww3.input_data_list'

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cice.input_data_list'

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cism.input_data_list'

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/mosart.input_data_list'

Loading input file list: 'Buildconf/cam.input_data_list'

GET_REFCASE is false, the user is expected to stage the refcase to the run directory.

Creating component namelists

Finished creating component namelists

Check case OK

submit_jobs case.run

Submit job case.run

Submitting job script qsub -q regular -l walltime=03:00:00 -A UIUC0044 -v ARGS_FOR_SCRIPT='--resubmit' .case.run

ERROR: Command: 'qsub -q regular -l walltime=03:00:00 -A UIUC0044 -v ARGS_FOR_SCRIPT='--resubmit' .case.run' failed with error 'b'No route to host\nqsub: cannot connect to server chadmin2.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu (errno=113)'' from dir '/glade/work/dksingh/cases/hybrid_2035bssp245smbb'

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Dharmendra,

Can you try running on Derecho using CESM version 2.1.5? That is the official version of CESM2.1 that has Derecho support. You should be able to acquire the source code via the following commands:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/ESCOMP/CESM.git
cd CESM
git checkout release-cesm2.1.5
./manage_externals/checkout_externals

Once you have this version of the model you should be able to specify -mach derecho when creating a new case and have it work as expected. Of course if that doesn't work for you please let us know.

Jesse

dharmendraks841

Dharmendra Kumar Singh
Hi Jesse.
Thanks again!
On Derecho, my new case has been submitted successfully.

dksingh@derecho2:/glade/work/dksingh/code_cesmupdated_derecho/bssp245smbb_hybrid35

2024-01-17 19:45:09: case.build success

---------------------------------------------------

2024-01-17 19:46:45: case.submit starting

2024-01-17 19:47:14: case.submit success case.run:2841749.desched1, case.st_archive:2841750.desched1

2024-01-17 19:47:53: case.run starting

2024-01-17 19:48:02: model execution starting