Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

SCAM: error when modifying IOP files

claralarson

Clara
Hi,

I am trying to modify the provided IOP files for a SCAM run, and I encounter an error when running SCAM with the modified files. I am able to run the original provided IOP files just fine. I added a modified copy of the forcing and initial condition files here: /opt/ncar/inputdata/atm/cam/scam/iop/. This is the location that the original files were stored in. To modify the files, I read the arm_95 forcing and initial condition files into a Jupyter Notebook using netcdf python functions, modified only the data, and re-saved them as new netcdf files with the same format. I also made a copy of the arm_95 usermods_dir directory here: /opt/ncar/cesm2/components/cam/cime_config/usermods_dirs. Insied the new directory in usermods_dir, I modified the ncdata and iopfile paths in user_nl_cam to point to the new files I generated in /opt/ncar/inputdata/atm/cam/scam/iop/. To run with the modified scripts, I used the provided create_scam6 script and changed only the iop name (I named the usermods_dir file using the same convention as the others so that it could be identified by an iopname). When I run the script, it hangs after a minute. Here is the last thing printed where it hangs (running verbosely):

02-28 19:34 CIME.utils INFO RUN: /opt/ncar/cesm2/components/cam/bld/build-namelist -ntasks 1 -csmdata /opt/ncar/inputdata -infile /home/scam/work/cases/arm95_0s.FSCAM.arm95_0s/Buildconf/camconf/namelist -ignore_ic_date -use_case scam_arm97 -inputdata /home/scam/work/cases/arm95_0s.FSCAM.arm95_0s/Buildconf/cam.input_data_list -namelist " &atmexp /"

Has anyone seen this before or run into any trouble modifying the provided IOPs?

Thanks in advance!