Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Set a specific soil moisture climatology field when calculating the heat flux released from the land

kwzhang

kwzhang
Hi,
I am trying to replace the soil moisture data with a soil moisture data climatology file in the fully coupled CESM1 or CESM2 (CESM1 is better) only when the model is calculating the heat flux (i.e., latent and sensible heat flux), and maintain the coupling state between the land and the atmosphere at the same time. In short, land component should be active all the time, but when the model is calculating the heat flux released from the land, the soil moisture field used in the calculation of heat flux should be a given climatology data file. Here I have several questions:
1. In which component does the model calculate the heat flux (i.e., latent and sensible heat flux)? CPL or CLM?
2. How to modify the model settings to realize the goal mentioned above?
I am looking forward to any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Kaiwen

kwzhang

kwzhang
Did you try this method:

Dear Oleson,
Thank you for your reply. Does this method you mentioned totally uncouple the land and atmosphere? Actually, I just would like to remove the land response to atmosphere via latent and sensible heat flux, and preserve the effect of the atmosphere on the land. So the interaction between the land and the atmosphere is one-way, i.e., atmosphere affects land. Do you have any suggestions about this question?
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Kaiwen

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Based on your description "one-way, i.e., atmosphere affects land", it sound like you would want an I-compset where the atmosphere affects the land but the land fluxes don't feed back on the atmosphere. In an I-compset the land is forced by reanalysis or output from a coupled simulation.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

kwzhang

kwzhang
Based on your description "one-way, i.e., atmosphere affects land", it sound like you would want an I-compset where the atmosphere affects the land but the land fluxes don't feed back on the atmosphere. In an I-compset the land is forced by reanalysis or output from a coupled simulation.
Dear Oleson,
Thank you for your reply. In our simulation, (1) atmosphere and ocean should be interactive, and (2) atmosphere can affect the land, (3) but the soil moisture cannot feed back on the atmosphere via changing the land heat fluxes. So I think I-compset can't reach our purpose.
I think I should use an fully coupled compset (atmosphere-ocean-land coupled; e.g., B-component), and then maybe I have to change some settings (maybe I have to edit the codes?) to remove the land heat flux feedback to the atmosphere due to changes in soil moisture. I would like to replace the time-varying soil moisture calculated by the model with a given soil moisture climatology file just when the model is calculating the land heat fluxes. In this way, soil moisture should change over time under the influence of the atmosphere, but at the same time, CPL can only receive the land heat fluxes calculated with a given soil moisture climatology file.
I am not sure whether this idea can be realized. If it is possible, should I edit the codes or settings in the CPL?

Thanks in advance.
Best,
Kaiwen

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We don't know how/if that could be implemented, sorry. It would take some deep exploration of the code to assess this.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote