Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Several questions about soil layer structure

Zh Chen

chen
Dear scientists,
I have several questions about soil layer structure in CLM4.5 and CLM5.0
(1) Why soil layer structure is non-linear in CLM4.5 and CLM5.0? Why is the difference between the two version?
(2) Running CLM4.5 or CLM5.0 over a single-point, observations at 5, 10, 20, 40cm were compared against CLM4.5 at node depth 6.23,11.89, 21.22, 36.61cm or CLM5.0 at node depth 4, 9, 16, 40cm, it's right?
(3) I read CLM5 technical notes: The soil column can be discretized into an arbitrary number of layers. Whether soil structure can be modified in CLM4.5 and 5.0, is it recommended to modify it in two versions?
Thanks

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
(1) The non-linear structure is mainly to better resolve water and heat dynamics closer to the surface. CLM5 has increased soil vertical resolution plus bedrock layers, was well as spatially varying soil depth per observations.
(2) That seems like the right node depths for comparison. You could also interpolate the CLM data to the observed depths.
(3) I'm not aware of any studies in which this has actually been done.