Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

'shr_pio_getindex :: compid out of allowed range'

yfang

Yilin Fang
Hi, Does any one know this error: 'shr_pio_getindex :: compid out of allowed range'? It showed up in the atm.log file.

yfang

Yilin Fang
It occurred at line 171 in share/src/shr_pio_mod.F90 for component ATM, which has the mesh and mask file fv0.9x1.25_141008_po lemod_ESMFmesh.nc. My compset is I2010Clm50Sp and grid is f09_g17. I printed out "size(io_compname)" and it's 0.

yfang

Yilin Fang
cesm.exe 0000000000F3DA3E dshr_mod_mp_dshr_ 291 dshr_mod.F90
cesm.exe 000000000056F6C2 atm_comp_nuopc_mp 420 atm_comp_nuopc.F90

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We will need the information requested here in order to help you, thanks:

yfang

Yilin Fang
@oleson Thanks for the information. Please find the description in the attached. I built ESMF v8.4.1 using intel compiler and esmf_comm is intelmpi. The script to create the case is in the attachment too.

Attachments

• my_info.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 5

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm probably going to move this to the porting forum but it would be helpful if you could attach the log files you get when you try to run the simulation.
Has the model been ported to "compy"?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Thanks for all of that information. I setup and successfully ran the same case on our machine. The line numbers in the traceback don't quite match up appropriately with the lines of code that I see in ctsm5.1.dev122. For example, the line number in the traceback for atm_comp_nuopc.F90 points to a blank line, but right above that it is initializing the mesh, as you noted. My only suggestion right now is to make sure the mesh file exists, is not a netCDF4 file, and is not corrupted.

yfang

Yilin Fang
Thanks so much for looking into this. I added some print statements in the code and messed up the line numbers. The exact location is line 420 in atm_comp_nuopc.F90 and line 291 in dshr_mod.F90.
The mesh file exists. It is cdf5 format and it's not corrupted. Is it correct?

yfang

Yilin Fang
Could you take a look at the xml files in the attached to see if there is anything wrong? Thank you!

Attachments

• env_info.zip
    23.6 KB · Views: 1

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Try placing this file in your SourceMods/src.share directory, recompile and rerun
(remove the .txt extension - the file name should be shr_pio_mod.F90)

Attachments

• shr_pio_mod.F90.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 3

yfang

Yilin Fang
@jedwards Thanks for the code. The error is:
ERROR: shr_pio_getindex :: compname=ATM not found in
/compyfs/d3m045/e3sm_scratch/wtd/cesm_wtd_g/I2000Clm50Sp/fv0.9x1.25_141008_polemod_ESMFmesh.nc

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
So what should have been printed is something like
ERROR: shr_pio_getindex :: compname=ATM not found in CPL, ALL, LND, ATM, etc
Somehow that variable, io_compname, is being overwritten by the mesh file path.

yfang

Yilin Fang
perlmutter has a log file showing PET255 ESM0001:src/addon/NUOPC/src/NUOPC_Driver.F90:2838 Library needed by ESMF not present - Phase 'IPDv01p3' Initialize for modelComp 2: ATM did not return ESMF_SUCCESS.

On compy ESMF_SUCCESS is 0. I wonder it's the same issue. I have added the esmf.mk in configure_machines.xml. What else do I need?

<environment_variables>
<env name="ESMFMKFILE">/global/homes/y/yfang/software/esmf-8.4.1/lib/libO/Linux.gfortran.64.mpich.default/esmf.mk</env>
</environment_variables>