Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Sign definition about SHFLX/LHFLX

pingting

pingting
Hello!
I am new to using the cesm model. I have been confusing the signs of sensible heat flux and latent heat flux output by the cesm. Are the positive values transferred from the ocean to the atmosphere or from the atmosphere to the ocean?

And what about the symbol for net solar radiation and net longwave radiation?

Where exactly can I look up this information
Thanks ssssso much!

zarzycki

FSNS (net shortwave) is defined as positive into the surface
FLNS (net longwave), LHFLX (latent heat), and SHFLX (sensible heat) are defined as positive into the atmosphere

Fnet_sfc = FSNS - FLNS - LHFLX - SHFLX

pingting

pingting
FSNS (net shortwave) is defined as positive into the surface
FLNS (net longwave), LHFLX (latent heat), and SHFLX (sensible heat) are defined as positive into the atmosphere

Fnet_sfc = FSNS - FLNS - LHFLX - SHFLX
Thank you for your kind reply! But I have a small question, where can I query the information of these output variables

zarzycki

If you are asking exactly how they are calculated, you can get information from the model tech notes -- e.g., for CTSM the radiative surface fluxes are defined here: 2.4. Radiative Fluxes — ctsm release-clm5.0 documentation. These are the fluxes that are passed back to CAM during coupling and output to your cam.hX. streams.

To query the code exactly where the outputs are derived from, you can grep through the CAM source code for "SHFLX", "LHFLX" etc.