Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

snow and permafrost structure of CLM5

wvsi3w

wvs3iw
Hello,
I have a question about the snow structure and permafrost structure that the developers of CLM5 implemented that I couldn't find in the guideline and documentation:
Is CLM5 considering the Alpine snow structure for the model or is it considering the structure of every snow and every permafrost region in the world, or maybe a general structure?

Because some land surface models that are developed in Europe are using the Alpine structure of the snow/permafrost.
I understand that the CLM5 is designed to capture the overall behavior and dynamics of snowpacks across different regions and I can infer that it might be a general structure but I need to make sure.
Who should I ask?
Thanks

slevis

If you didn't find an explicit answer to your question in the CLM Technical Description, then most likely this means that the model tries to capture a generic structure of snow. If you wanted to dig deeper, you could look for and read the references listed in the corresponding section of the CLM Technical Description.