Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

SOA in the CAM-Chem forecast data

jpen

Jynt
I am driving my global model with CAM-Chem forecast data for the following species:
(/ 'H2O2 ', 'H2SO4 ', 'SO2 ', 'DMS ', &​
'SOAG ', 'so4_a1 ', 'pom_a1 ', 'soa_a1 ', &​
'bc_a1 ', 'dst_a1 ', 'ncl_a1 ', 'num_a1 ', 'so4_a2 ', &​
'soa_a2 ', 'ncl_a2 ', 'num_a2 ', &​
'dst_a3 ', 'ncl_a3 ', 'so4_a3 ', 'num_a3 ', &​
'pom_a4 ', 'bc_a4 ', 'num_a4 ' /)​
I have some queries pertaining to SOA species in the CAM-Chem forecast data.
  • The CAM-Chem forecast files include SOA for 5 categories (big-alkanes, -alkenes, toulene, isoprene and monoterpenes). However, I am not sure how to handle them. For example, the aerosol model requires the mixing ratios of soa in aitken and accumulation mode (soa_a2 and soa_a1). Do I need to simply add them all in their respective modes i.e., soa_a1[2] = soa1_a1[2] + soa2_a1[2] + soa3_a1[2] + soa4_a1[2] + soa5_a1[2]?
  • In addition, there is SOAG in the list. Fixed mass yields are given in Liu et al. (2012). Are mixing ratios for SOAG to be calculated similar to the above step, but with the multipliers given by Liu? VBS scheme is not being considered in my model yet.
  • The CAM-Chem forecast files does not include num_a4. How can it be calculated?