Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Spinup and simulation use different resolutions

Heng Yan

Heng Yan
Hi, I want to make a simulation with a high resolution in CLM5, which need to spin-up about 200 years and takes about half of month even longer. I noticed there is a namelist named "use_init_interp", it allows I spin-up with a low resolution even different compoment sets, the result can be used to high resolution simulation, However I have never found any operation like this, it seems that "use_init_inerp" is a new namelist in CLM5, so I just want to know whether the method is resonable. Thanks.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
use_init_interp = .true. will interpolate an initial (restart) file at any resolution to the resolution of the model run.
It might help to get your high resolution simulation spunup faster. But that will also depend on how different your high resolution atmospheric forcing data is from the atmospheric forcing data that was used to create the low resolution initial file.

Heng Yan

Heng Yan
Thank you. It means if I use the same atmospheric forcing data in spunup and high resolution simulation, the uncertainty may be minimum, right?

Heng Yan

Heng Yan
use_init_interp = .true. will interpolate an initial (restart) file at any resolution to the resolution of the model run.
It might help to get your high resolution simulation spunup faster. But that will also depend on how different your high resolution atmospheric forcing data is from the atmospheric forcing data that was used to create the low resolution initial file.
Thank you. It means if I use the same atmospheric forcing data in spunup and high resolution simulation, the uncertainty may be minimum, right?