Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ssp534-over scenario inputs for CESM2

tomaslovato

Tomas Lovato
Hello,
I'm interested in running CESM under the CMIP6 ssp534 overshoot scenario,
but input emissions data retrieval fails as only a limited number of files are available on the public inputdata repository.
I'm wondering it the svn repo is simply not up to date or if missing emission files should be taken from another source.

Thanks for any feedback,
Tomas

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Tomas,

Let me look into this. The input emissions should be available for a scientifically supported compset.

Chris

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry, I forgot to follow up on this. All of the data should be there now.

Chris

tomaslovato

Tomas Lovato
Thanks Chris.

I'm wondering if data for the tracer_cnst_halons of ssp534os will be also made available to enable the use of CESM2 without WACCM
or where I can find a script/procedure to correctly create this forcing, e.g., by using data made available though ESGF for CESM2-WACCM simulation.

tomaslovato

Tomas Lovato
Dear Chris
I was looking to already available tracer_cnst files for other CMIP6 scenarios and in the history of files there is a reference to the NCL script used for their creation http://svn.code.sf.net/p/codescripts/code/trunk/ncl/cam_forcing/CreateTracerCnstFile.ncl
It is my understanding that the procedure involves the access to several outputs of CESM2-WACCM which I assume might not be all publicly available.
The cesm contact for these data is Dr. Mike Mills, but before trying to contact him, I would like to know if you have any feedbacks since my last post.
Bests

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't know if the tracer_cnst_halons will be made available. Your best bet would be to contact Dr. Mike Mills.

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Tomas,

We have not yet created any SSP5-3.4OS compsets for CAM, but I expect that this will be available soon.

In addition to the tracer_cnst_file you mention, this configuration requires a number of other new forcing files generated from WACCM output for prescribed stratospheric ozone, prescribed stratospheric aerosols, water vapor production from methane oxidation, and nitrogen deposition to the land and ocean models. We have recently created these files, and are currently working on the first coupled CAM runs for SSP5-3.4OS.

Once we have done that, we will create a compset in our development code repository, and will include it in subsequent release codes for CESM2.1.